Has there ever been a Sequencer comparison?

BKLN2LA

Like an article or something that shows the strengths and weaknesses of each? I think I'm gonna decide what computer to get (Mac or PC) based on the Sequencer I'm gonna use...

Right now I have a PC (1ghz Athlon, SCSI HD, SCSI DVD, SCSI Burner, 2 other IDE HDs). I wanna get a new computer just for music though. I won't be using it for anything else and won't install stuff that I won't use on it.

Also, which sequencers have Rewire support?

FYI I have never used a Mac. Should I be concerned about learning it, or will it be relatively easy to use?

If I got a Mac it would be dual 1ghz. If I get a PC it'll either be dual processor or I'll wait till the P4 3.06 goes down in price and just use my current computer until then...

Last edited:
Well if you are looking for a system with the best performance I would say that you should choose a Mac dual processor. Mainly because a Mac use a system that is better adapted to the processing of audio. With a PC you can bump in to problems with hardware issues and non compatibility. Since i´m right now working on a PC until I can afford a new G4 dual, I know that in my case this has been a frequent problem (though I suppose that a lot of the PC users will disagree with me).

My opinion is that Emagic´s Logic Platinum is the supreme sequencer software, though I could be regarded as bias since my last test with cubase was 2-3 years ago. The main feature in Logic Platinum that I prefer is the ability to create my own setup with specific key-commands for every vital part in the sequencer and also the vast amount of compatible hardware (though I would imagine that this also applies to Cubase)

About rewire, Cubase support rewire (Steinberg, actually own a part of Propellerhead, the company that created recycle, reason and rebirth) feature and it´s said that Logic supports it as well, though i´we never used it myself.

And, no it´s not difficult to use a machintosh, especially if you have worked with sequencer software before, the most common operative systems for both mac and PC is actually very similar.

If you want comparison data between mac and PC just search the web, there is tons of articles about that.

Good luck !

Okay, but what about DP vs Logic?

Basically if I keep PC it'll be Cubase or Sonar. If I go with Mac, it's Logic or DP....

Unfortunately I can only speak for Logic vs Cubase, but considering that Logic and Cubase are the two sequencers mainly used in relation to professional recording and in professional studios (at least in Europe). I would say that you probably should go with either of them, considering the compatibility with other studios and the amount of money and resources spent in developing them. And there aim is to suit both amateur and professional users. They basically support the same features, such as vst, vsti, rocket etc.

My advice is to go with Logic Platinum, and a Mac G4 dual processor.

But if you choose a PC you probably should go for Cubase since Emagic won’t continue to produce PC software.

Hope I answered your question!

Where are the DP people at?????

Also, a lot of my question haven't been answered :(

Last edited:
I hate to be rolling out the copout answer, but it really does apply.

Sonar? Neuendo? Logic? Cubase? Digital Performer? ProTools?

Each of these tools is tremendous. There are differences among them, but it's about how much you love your tool and how far you take it. Fantastic music has been made on all of these and much less... It's up to you to just choose a sequencer and become it.

For the record, I use Digital Performer. I switched from Logic. My reasons were: More refined UI (so less of a headache, faster to whip around), stability & better midi sequencing.

Back