Has anyone upgraded to pro tools 12?

mguz11

Just wondering if anyone has used pt 12 and likes it? I am still on pt 9 which is fine still but was thinking of upgrading since I have some extra cash. It is either that or get logic pro x since its only a few hundred bucks. Any input? Any new dopeness in pt 12?

I plan on upgrading. I haven't upgraded since 8. I have the M-Powered version, and I heard the upgrade to 12 is only $200. So, that's a go for me.

I have m powered as well. Which concerned me a little bit because I don't know if pt12 is m powered anymore. Which would be a bummer cause I'd have to get a whole new interface. But I also heard somewhere that pt 12 does not require an interface anymore? Is this true?

Well I was totally unaware of that. So all it needs is an ilok and can run off your computers sound card? This will be nice as I can record mobile from my macbook pro. Def going to be upgrading.

question also, If i want to use my m audio profire 2626 with pt 12 so I can use my studio monitors. Will it work?

Well I was totally unaware of that. So all it needs is an ilok and can run off your computers sound card? This will be nice as I can record mobile from my macbook pro. Def going to be upgrading.

Yep.

question also, If i want to use my m audio profire 2626 with pt 12 so I can use my studio monitors. Will it work?

Should work just like any other interface.

one more also, wtf is the subscription all about? I don't need that do i?

There's two "subscription"-type things, afaik - the possibility to "rent" PT by subscribing and the "upgrade plan" that is a fixed annual fee that covers all the updates (instead of the old standard of simply charging for each point update). Hassle-free for the pros, not quite so unquestionably nice for hobbyists. But being able to rent the actual software is nice, if you're only occasionally doing freelance mixing projects, for example.

Yep.

Should work just like any other interface.

one more also, wtf is the subscription all about? I don't need that do i?

There's two "subscription"-type things, afaik - the possibility to "rent" PT by subscribing and the "upgrade plan" that is a fixed annual fee that covers all the updates (instead of the old standard of simply charging for each point update). Hassle-free for the pros, not quite so unquestionably nice for hobbyists. But being able to rent the actual software is nice, if you're only occasionally doing freelance mixing projects, for example.

Thanks for the help Krushing! So I went ahead and purchased pro tools 12. I did buy the academic version because it was a little cheaper. Now I have a question if anyone know about registering pro tools academic. Even though I am not a current student I do have a Student ID that does not expire until 2016. The reason is I am in-between schools right now I need to get into classes at another college this fall. I guess my question is, even though I am currently not a student but do have a Student Id that is not expired yet, is that enough to get through the verification that avid does? If not I was just thinking of using my sisters information who is my roommate and currently getting her Masters to become a physicians assistant. So she is iron clad on the schooling. I would just register her on avid and do it that way if my not expired student id but not enrolled status wasn't enough. Does that make sense? I am not trying to scam or steal or do anything like that I just figured I spend so much money on music as it is why not save $100 when I can. Hell I'd even write a letter to avid and give them many many reasons why I am in fact still a student lol. Anyways does anyone know which way would work better?

Back