Hardware vs. Software, the dilema

VMILLI

I am new to Logic, and producing all together. I just bought it to use as my main daw. I also have a Motif XS8. Now the more ive been playing with logic, the less ive been using the motif. Is the motif with logic a good set up? or did i waste my money with the motif? should i have just went with a midi controller to use with logic? The thoughts goin through my head are...Sell the motif, get a midi controller/drum pad to use with logic. Somebody please convince me that i didnt waste my money and that the motif is great to have and use along with logic. I havent quite figured out how this is gonna work because im learning on the spot so i need some advice. I deff. lovvvve logic so far and i hear it can do everything so do i really need the the MOTIF(besides the quality instruments it has, but i find myself using the logic instruments more) if im using Logic?????

Personally, I'd just get a midi controller, unless you need to take the Motif for a gig or something.

I own a Motif Es, and I would never get rid of it. Sometimes I don't feel like fumbling through menus and using a mouse. When I get like that, I just compose in the Motif. Everything is already mapped out. Immediate results. Nothing is in the way of you making music, plus it's loaded with all of your "bread and butter" sounds. It's hard to match the Motif's workflow with a software setup.

One other thing that will always make me keep my Motif.

ZERO LATENCY!!!!

Is the motif with logic a good set up?

Yes and no... A Motif with Logic is a dream come true to many but there are some downsides. With any of these boards you have to bounce the track as audio when you've finished - which personally I find long. What you should have done is buy the Motif XS Rack - Giving you ALL the motif sounds and enabling you to use 16 channels as midi - Dream come truee !!!!

My Advice - Sell the motif and buy the Motif XS Rack and good Midi controller (Axiom Pro Or Novation SL Mk2)

:cheers:

Last edited:
You can use 16 channels as midi with the XS8. Just turn off the local control, and the Motif will be your midi controller too.

Last edited:
Nah Dont sell your Motif. Whats da purpose of sellin it, then getting the Rack version/Midi Keyboard? No sense on goin backwards!

I'm on the other boat. I think you should sell it and buy some vst instruments or Reason 4. I have a MO8 and never use it anymore.

I am new to Logic, and producing all together. I just bought it to use as my main daw. I also have a Motif XS8. Now the more ive been playing with logic, the less ive been using the motif. Is the motif with logic a good set up? or did i waste my money with the motif? should i have just went with a midi controller to use with logic? The thoughts goin through my head are...Sell the motif, get a midi controller/drum pad to use with logic. Somebody please convince me that i didnt waste my money and that the motif is great to have and use along with logic. I havent quite figured out how this is gonna work because im learning on the spot so i need some advice. I deff. lovvvve logic so far and i hear it can do everything so do i really need the the MOTIF(besides the quality instruments it has, but i find myself using the logic instruments more) if im using Logic?????

I dont think you wasted it. If your mac crashes or needs repair, you can still make music on your motif. Furthermore, you can gig with it. also, you can easily add new sounds to it from motifator.com so you have variety.

That's your decision. You're starting as a producer now and only you can decide on what works for you. Everyone on here has likes and dislikes. But at the end of the day no one but you can decide what to use to make YOUR music. Just have fun making music. It's a long process. Enjoy the ride. Keep them both. Learn both and then you decide if it works for you.

Last edited:
Back