Hardware Sequencer vs Software Sequencer?

S

scarbies

Ive heard alot about hardware sequencers having better timing than the software sequencers, and this is true, but I want to know how much the tighter timing affects the final song? I have only ever used software sequencer (Fruityloops (if thats a sequencer?)) and I cant seem to get my kick and bass to sit right (140BMP trancy stuff). That may have to do with my lack of experience (especially when it comes to hardware) but I want to know if Ill get better results if I migrate to a hardware sequencer? Ive started to use Logic Audio Plat but the climb is VERTICAL.
ScarbieS

Last edited by a moderator:
Theory:
Hardware sequencers have specially designed realtime operating systems in them, thus giving you secure and accurate timing.
Personal comuters don't have this, therefore the processor being busy can make a note get somewhat delayed.

On the other hand, hardware sequencers usually run pretty slow processors, giving software sequencers a theoretically higher resolution.

Practice:
I doubt you could hear the difference in a blind test. Go with what feels best.

Loads of pros use software. Loads of pros use hardware. Depends what you're most comfortable with. As for things being tighter on hardware, I think once you have your system set up right software is equally tight (and a load more flexible).

KasioRoks

Yeah and if you still can't get that tightness going you can align the wave forms in your software and loop them ; you won't get any tighter than this...
Also be aware that midi synths are slowish when you throw a lot of data happening at the same time, I can't believe the synth companies haven't fixed that problem, and it's 2002...

Yeah, where are all those bluetooth and firewire musical interfaces?
Midi really needs an upgrade by now!
(slow slow slow)

Last edited:
software is alot easier to manipulate complex sequences due the ease of a usuful item called a mouse, but if indeed there is a delay w/ software do what I do and use cubase and seqence each track then export the midi file to each individual track and load into my rs7000 which enables alot even more control then I can tweak

the best of both worlds

Hardware for sequencing. Hands down. I learned production on the mpc2000. A legendary sequencer, its quantization is unparalleled. I Highly recomend getting a used mpc2000xl, getting a mod chip installed to seriously extend your sample time. (From 10 sec. to 120 sec.) Then get an old.. lets say Roland sound module, groovebox, or keyboard. Hook them 2 mofos up through midi, i mean actual midi plugs, no USB.. the connective components of a massive sound warrior should not be the same you use to charge your cell phone. Anyways, you have the Mpc connected to the synth.. now pound out your lil patterns there, on drum pads as god intended and then honestly tell me that fukn Frooty Loops is more ideal sequencing, and ill kick you in your moms dick. :) bottom line is these of which i speak are machines made to sequence sound, made to hold thousands of sounds with infinite possibilties at the twist of tangible knobs.. if your using software, your on a machine that was designed by dudes that dont give a fraction of a **** if you can pump out a beat on that *****. Where as Akai, for example, works with sequencing. That's what they do. When you sequence with a machine that's designed to, its like magic. Just Maybe if you have a powerful machine with an expensive sound card, and an even better MIDI controller, you might be able to produce in real without a lag, but I have yet to experience this. Im not here to fukn rip on technology, software is good for multitrack recording, I haven't came across any means of collecting samples better than sony acids chopper. Software is good for organization, storage, mixing and mastering. Ive spent countless hours, fukin days, sequencing on both hardware and software, and found that what it comes down to is that production is an art. Art is feeling. If you like the feeling of pointing and clicking.. that's cool. I like the feeling of pounding out beats on the pads on an MPC. Straight connected, one with that shit.. fukin cyborg in this *****.

I have an old Atari ST computer so I get both hardware like timing and a reasonably decent GUI although I tend to use my QWERTY keyboard to navigate through whatever program I am running.

Back