Groove Agent 4: One Drum VST to rule them all!

M

mistaox

I always loved the sound and versatility of Groove agent for acoustic drums but wished I could use my own samples.

Strindberg must have read my mind!

Now I can chop samples, program my own drums and add acoustic breaks and patterns using one VST!..NICE

Chopping:

More info:

Start*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really cool man, I wanted to be able to chop like this in Studio One, but I couldn't wait for them to add a feature like this so I went with Maschine Studio

I'm personally really disappointed in the whole workflow of things in Cubase drum machines. For a moment I was under the impression that I could just use one drum sampler like that, and have my whole beat section in it and route it to different outputs to process them all individually. Oh how wrong I was! As soon as I started digging into it, it fell apart completely. You can only route a pad to either the in-built mixer on the plugin, the master on the plugin, or to any of the 4 aux channels. All of which bypass any type of routing to an individual output channel in Cubase, effectively rendering it and all the in-built effects useless (seeing as I have auditioned them and the ones I use are just better in most ways).

Also there is only 16 available outputs for the instruments, so it's kind of a let down in that department as well. 16 drum tracks have never been enough in any of my productions, but then again it may not be a problem for someone else.

Edit; I like how you said Strindberg. :P

Last edited:
I'm personally really disappointed in the whole workflow of things in Cubase drum machines. For a moment I was under the impression that I could just use one drum sampler like that, and have my whole beat section in it and route it to different outputs to process them all individually. Oh how wrong I was! As soon as I started digging into it, it fell apart completely. You can only route a pad to either the in-built mixer on the plugin, the master on the plugin, or to any of the 4 aux channels. All of which bypass any type of routing to an individual output channel in Cubase, effectively rendering it and all the in-built effects useless (seeing as I have auditioned them and the ones I use are just better in most ways).

Also there is only 16 available outputs for the instruments, so it's kind of a let down in that department as well. 16 drum tracks have never been enough in any of my productions, but then again it may not be a problem for someone else.

Edit; I like how you said Strindberg. :P

Think about it, how many Outs and Aux do you get with the average Hardware sampler?........ Just load another Instance of the plugin and keep it moving.

I think that's highly irrelevant, because I'm not using the hardware samplers now am I.. I'm using software, it doesn't have to be this way.

I would load up another instance if it helped, but if I have 30 drum tracks that I want to process individually, then I'd have to use 14 other instances of it, which is just not even realistic considering the fact that it's not cpu friendly enough to just load up 1 drum pad.

I currently bounce my audio now, but it's not really how I'm used to working, or how I really want to work (with long loops of audio).

All I'm saying is, the groove agent is not my cup of tea, I really need to have the flexibility of every single drum sound on its own channel where I can put my own inserts. But I also don't want to work with audio in that sense, I'm much more comfortable programming my drums in midi-sequences throughout the whole track (even though audio has its own benefits)

Last edited:
I would load up another instance if it helped, but if I have 30 drum tracks that I want to process individually, then I'd have to use 14 other instances of it, which is just not even realistic considering the fact that it's not cpu friendly enough to just load up 1 drum pad.

)

Maybe I'm missing something. You have 30 tracks....GA has 16 outs. 2X16 = 32...

Why would you load up another instance for just 1 drum pad when you have 16 available outputs per instance????????
And why the heck aren't you using group tracks?

I feel like such a dumbass now. I could've sworn I tried to do that earlier without any success.. but yeah that totally works. I withdraw that comment. :P

I would like to continue this thread for just a little while longer and go ahead and ask;

Is there any way that I can load up samples from the Media Bay or the Mini Browser straight into the Groove Agent 4 pads, and somehow have those samples contained within the project folder?

I recently bought a dedicated desktop PC for my music production, and have spent many days transferring and re-installing all my stuff, only to find that Groove Agent is having massive issues re-locating the samples I have used, even though they are clearly there.

I notice when I load it straight into the groove agent from the media bay it doesn't copy to the audio pool.
I'd love to have anything done in it to be self-contained.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

No. only files added to the main project window end up in the audio pool or project folder.

Are they factory samples that come with GA or are they your own?

Make sure the Media Bay is aware of all of your sample locations. A good way to test this is to search for a sample using the media bay. If if doesn't show up in the search results you need to place a check mark on that folder in the media bay.

Yeah, it's my own samples I've used. And I have had all my samples in one folder, and transferred that one to the new PC. It still won't find them. The issue is probably then because I've sampled my own bassline for certain tracks, and out them into groove agent and occasionally have been using the "remove unused media" function, which obviously was a mistake in retrospect.

It's really strange that the audio used is not contained in the project folder.

Back