Fruityloops automation annoyance

brownthing

Right, I use a midi keyboard (with lovely assignable knobs) to tweak various parameters in my fruityloops tracks.
Picture this scenario:
I have a 5 minute track in fruity.
I want to record me tweaking the cutoff of one of my VSTsynths throughout the whole track.
So I do it (I'm clever like that).
Then I relisten and I think the tweakings toward the end of the track need to be more aggressive. So I jump back in in record mode at about half way through the track and start tweaking again.
The problem is when I've finished I listen back, and to my horror, the first half of the track has lost it's automation recording for that parameter.

Anyway to get round this? Or do I just have to re-record the entire track each time?

Last edited:
Hi Brownthing

I don't know if this is the answer, but it's an idea:

Have you tried using the scissor tool to cut your automation part in two? Perhaps if you cut it just before the point you want to re-record, it will only overwrite the second part. If you still lose the first part, you could try temporarily moving the part which you want to preserve to another track, before re-recording the second part.

Just to clarify my understanding:

Are you using Fruityloops as a VST instrument? If so, maybe you can answer a question for me, as I am thinking of purchasing FL for use as a VSTi:

Can I automate all FL parameters from within Cubase? (i.e. in the same way I would automate the cutoff on a filter plug-in, by creating an independent automation part.)

Good luck!

I'm using Fruity as a standalone I'm afraid. I don't have cubase, and I dont think fruity has this scissor tool.

I'm not sure how much automation you'll be able to do from cubase, as I've never used Fruity as a VSTi. However I'd recommend getting it as it's pretty cheap and perfect for drums. It does a whole lot more than drums aswell, and you might find it useful to quickly compose track ideas, as a sort of sketchpad.

yeah..ive experienced the same problem brown, except i dont have a midi controller. when that happens i just redo the whole song, its kind of a pain, but sh.it happens. if anyone knows how to fix this problem...please reply!

Prob easier to click on "Current Project" in the browser window, find the event automation u want, and edit it manually from the 2 bar onwards. (After you've initially recorded it)
jms

Last edited by a moderator:
yup, that's what I usually end up doing. Kind of makes my knobs redundant after the first take though.
Oh well maybe they will fix this in the next version.

Back