FLStudio > Cubase 5

Kossae

Okay before you all assume this is a noob thread about program comparisons or something, please don't. I have been composing, recording and producing music for years now and I would hate to be looked at as such. Anyway, when it comes to DAW software (even though FL may not technically be considered under that category), I am very firm in my purchases. To elaborate, when I buy a program, I stick with it for as long as possible before I truly see a need for a switch. I have been using FL since about version 3 and I have loved it. Acid Pro has been my recording app of choice due to its ease of use. However, I am getting a lot more serious about my music and am starting to receive a good number of clients for production, recording and mastering purposes. I have always wanted to switch to linear sequencing as displayed in Cubase, Reason and the other "top dog" DAWs, as it seems more versatile to me over the pattern-based style FL has. Basically my question is this. Switching from FLStudio 8 to Cubase 5, will I see any decrease in features? Furthermore, is it a common practice to make a beat in a program like Cubase and use the same session file to record vocal takes, effects, and basically complete the full project within the single file? It seems like this would take a lot of CPU in the end to playback, but it also seems like that is one of the main purposes. I am almost dead set on switching to Cubase for recording purposes, but I would also just like to know from a user of both worlds if it is worth switching to for my composing/production purposes as well. I am a heavy vst and Reason rack user, and I use a good amount of drum samples to complement. Thank you to anyone who took time to read this, and moreso to those that may help me out.

PS - please no cliche replies such as "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or "look it up yourself" as I am doing all the research I can possibly do. I just want to hear it from a hands-on experienced person.

PSS - sorry, one more thing. while there is a better audio interface at the studio i record in, the one i use at home is just a sound blaster audigy with the breakout box. the ASIO drivers on it however have given me a decent 10ms latency which I have been working with very efficiently. i tried out sonar at one point and it wouldnt even let me run it without a more "professional" interface. i shouldn't have a problem with this one in cubase should i? thanks a million.

-Kossae

Last edited:
so could someone actually contribute to the topic, please? there, now i have 304 and your post is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Switching from FLStudio 8 to Cubase 5, will I see any decrease in features?
Now I don't use FL, but as a Cubase 5 (non-studio version) user, I highly doubt you'll lose functionality overall. You may have to change the way you do things but I find cubase a VERY well rounded application. MOst are nowadays anyway. I'd suggest downloading the C5 manuals if you haven't here Look over the plugin manual at the very least. There you will see that you get alot for your time and money. I'm finding I can grow into many of the available features, so its a good long term investment. For instance studio control room function, 64 bit support (which ups your Max Ram capabilities), external fx, channel batch export for project transfers to other daws / really just protools, surround 5.1 functionality. It does lack some nice features like midi learn from right click, thor like synths, beat calculator but all DAWs have their advantages.

Furthermore, is it a common practice to make a beat in a program like Cubase and use the same session file to record vocal takes, effects, and basically complete the full project within the single file?
Yup, the full version comes with variaudio (think melodyne) and both studio and full come with pitch correct (think autotune). Comes with 46 plugins for the studio version and 56 for the full version. Couple of usefull functions are to audio to midi function where you can just sing a tune and it converts it to midi (i think FL does this too). And vice versa, you can freeze midi notes to audio files to lessen the CPU hit during playback.
I am a heavy vst and Reason rack user, and I use a good amount of drum samples to complement.
Reason can be rewired to C5. As far as VST hosts, Steinberg created the technology and are now implementing the mostly unaccepted VST3 format as well. VST3 helps improve CPU load management, I/O possibilities and screen resizing. I say unaccepted because most companies have chosen not to enli$t development time just for VST3 functionality and steinberg has the opportunity to start supporting sidechaining of vst3's if they wanted to. If this were to happen, I think more software companies would go that route. Also, I think the drum kits that come with Grove agent one are pretty useable. They're not 60's and 70's drum breaks but more suited to modern tastes.
i tried out sonar at one point and it wouldnt even let me run it without a more "professional" interface. i shouldn't have a problem with this one in cubase should i? thanks a million.
I switch from my external soundcard to the laptops soundmax builtin one all the time with an asio driver. I think the latency is about 11 ms on the internal card.
BTW, Dont get the studio version , you'll have more room to grow and more functionality. Good luck.

Back