FL VS Reason

FL or Reason

• Total voters

Da59

Reason Essentials 1.5
VS
FL Studio 10 Fruity Edition

Is Reason Essentials capable of matching FL studio fruit? If not, can u please be specific about the drawbacks (so i know if its important to me or not)

Not sure what Reason Essentials is but I used Reason for a while back, both can give you the same sound quality but I just prefer the workflow in FL Studio.

Reason essentials is very powerful. Its a stripped down version of Reason so you don't get all of the stock modules but the modules you get are solid. Out the box I cannot think of a better value for $99 and you can upgrade it with Rack Extensions when you deem it worthy honestly looking at the list of what comes in Essentials right now I cannot think of anything missing that cannot be replaced with an equally good rack extension if required.

Reason Essential. I'm biased though. I would say FL Studio is superior over Reason Essentials.....but dudes don't spend money. Having FL Studio and spend the money on all the good stuff needed...yeah. But the amount of thieves and crooks that use FL Studio.....I'll never represent that piece of shit. And it's not even anything against piracy....it's like the foodchain is FL Studio > $10,000 in pirated software > bragging rights on youtube for using the same synth used in the recreation of a popular song.

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!!

tumblr_mda6g7HmWV1rnzris_1352565801_cover.jpg

Better eat your Wheaties
reason-essentials.jpg

Leave them Fruit loops alone. :)

Last edited:
Reason Essential. I'm biased though. I would say FL Studio is superior over Reason Essentials.....but dudes don't spend money. Having FL Studio and spend the money on all the good stuff needed...yeah. But the amount of thieves and crooks that use FL Studio.....I'll never represent that piece of shit. And it's not even anything against piracy....it's like the foodchain is FL Studio > $10,000 in pirated software > bragging rights on youtube for using the same synth used in the recreation of a popular song.

Better eat your Wheaties
reason-essentials.jpg

I don't even get why people pirate plug ins. Most of them are cheap. $100 is nothing if you can make some dope beats and flip that hundred back in a week or so. Or even better get a job. I like having a regular pay check I get new plug ins every payday lol

Better eat your Wheaties
reason-essentials.jpg

I'm a huge advocate of FL, but I agree with this. As much as I emphasize the DAW doesn't make a difference, I often bounce back to Reason, Pro Tools, and MOTU BPM for producing because you can get caught in the monotony of cookie cut stuff that can be done in FL. There's a million producers making trap beats in FL as we speak. If you know the ins and outs, you start relying on the same overused patterns that can be done in seconds in the step sequencer, the leads off harmor and harmless, those same ethereal pads found in everything these days. Not to mention, if you're going with the popular vstis(Nexus, Gladiator, Sylenth, NI stuff, ect.)you think you're expanding, but still getting more raped libraries.

Soon as I load up Pro Tools and go into stock stuff in XPand2, Structure, Vacuum, and Hybrid(I suggest anyone using Pro Tools buy it)I instantly have a fresh sound that expands ideas. Not to mention the mod wheel works so i can manipulate as I play without all that assigning in FL I really don't want to waste time doing. Same with Reason(even though I'm using 6, not essentials), I'm not saying this stuff can't be done in FL, its just FL techniques have been ran in the ground so much you're gonna sound like everyone else until you do SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Years ago i loved FL because I was on it when people were still MPC crazy. Same rules apply to any device that's too dominant in music at the time(now people gonna pretend they don't remember when everything sounded like it came off an MPC... all the choppy samples, 1 note basslines, too much swing for the sake of thinking it "added soul")

Tools don't have a sound until you fall into the cookie cut techniques they provide for everyone, but, because of the current direction of music, FL makes it too easy to fall into those realms no different than an MPC did in 1999-2003 no different than a Motif did when Dre/Storch/JR Rotem had those keyboard string and repeat chord piano beats in style.

Other Daws make you come up with different approaches to get that same "current sound" that makes you spawn more originality IMO. Same time, gotta respect FL, it annihilated those Motif beats i was talking about by bringing more intricate sounds and sequencing to to the table than workstation keyboards were capable of.

I don't even get why people pirate plug ins. Most of them are cheap. $100 is nothing if you can make some dope beats and flip that hundred back in a week or so. Or even better get a job. I like having a regular pay check I get new plug ins every payday lol

It's an addiction worse than meth. Worse than nicotine. It destroys the lives of millions of up and coming producers. It leads to depression.

I was going to buy 6.5.......but I jumped from 3.0 to Essentials since it was on sale $79. I ain't missing Thor, Kong, ect. Only thing I miss is Malstrom. Wish they would sell it as a RE....maybe when 7 comes out. I messed with the predator RE....:bigeyes:. About to check out that new $9 modular synth builder whatever thingy.

It's right up my alley. But I'm still Cubase all day.

Last edited:
It's an addiction worse than meth. Worse than nicotine. It destroys the lives of millions of up and coming producers. It leads to depression.

I was going to buy 6.5.......but I jumped from 3.0 to Essentials since it was on sale $79. I ain't missing Thor, Kong, ect. Only thing I miss is Malstrom. Wish they would sell it as a RE....maybe when 7 comes out. I messed with the predator RE....:bigeyes:. About to check out that new $9 modular synth builder whatever thingy.

It's right up my alley. But I'm still Cubase all day.

Those modular RE synths look dope for $9 each. I only bought Re Predator and Echobode but I haven't been using Reason as much as I used to. I mainly use Live now. I recently got Maschine and I am working that into the workflow as well but I only pull up Reason now for the sound libraries I have for it.

hmm its a hard one, fruity edition have everything you need with half decent plugins, you need to add vsti to make quality stuff imo

essentials is more powerfull, better pre-sounds, and plugs.

Fl have a easy to use interface

reasons interface is more complicated to use, but like i said, the pre-sounds is way better
Since FL can handle VST and reason uses "refils" i would pick FL any day
with the right VST plugs FL beats reason at any level.

its bad that reason doesnt support it, but on the other side, if it did, there would be no "Reason" to get reason
cuz the interface is over-complicated in my opinion

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

FL is like a empty rack you could fill with all the stuff you like in a easy way

^^^^Missed with it a little bit. Cool. Got bored with it. lol!
Predator you mean? I agree it can get boring unless you are into synths like that. I am into building sounds from scratch on synths sometimes for the hell of it.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

hmm its a hard one, fruity edition have everything you need with half decent plugins, you need to add vsti to make quality stuff imo

essentials is more powerfull, better pre-sounds, and plugs.

Fl have a easy to use interface

reasons interface is more complicated to use, but like i said, the pre-sounds is way better
Since FL can handle VST and reason uses "refils" i would pick FL any day
with the right VST plugs FL beats reason at any level.

its bad that reason doesnt support it, but on the other side, if it did, there would be no "Reason" to get reason
cuz the interface is over-complicated in my opinion

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

FL is like a empty rack you could fill with all the stuff you like in a easy way
How is Reason's interface more complicated than FL? I am asking because Reason was the first music tool that I really took to so I never saw it as confusing vs FL which to me is usable but feels a bit backwards. Reason is as simple as pick a device from the browser window double click and there it is. want a new effect or effect module select it from the same browser window. want some new fx? go to the rack extension store there are quite a few. Obviously not as many RE as vsts but the RE format was only announced a year ago it hasn't been out a full year yet.

well its my personal opinion, im getting confused with all the racks and stuff, some things seems unlogic to me.
but im a simple guy, i just wanna plug my keyboard, hit rec, play
im not really in need for advanced options and such that much more then tweaking my VST's and mix.
i use FL to make my keyboard work as a workstation the cheaper way.

dont say its something wrong with Reason, but its not my cup of thé, many producers tend to stick what they started with somehow.
if i get a mac i will change for loqic, no doubt about it.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

i picked up you're a Reason guy:) now i wanna know why you use Reason, what is it that you like with it?
or are you like me first DAW=Home

Last edited:
I'd definitely use FL Studio any day. All of the talk that "FL Studio is for noobs" etc. all DAWS pretty much do the same thing and I've tried many DAWS and a lot don't offer what FL can do, or it's a lot more complicated to do so if they do. I'd say Reason offers some really good racks and sounds, so good for re-wire. But for my base production it'd have to be FL Studio :)

I would've been happy with Reason Essentials if I didn't have singing vocals that need help through Neptune, and if I didn't rely so heavily on Thor patches -- but I do, that's why I went with the full version of Reason.

If you're just starting out though and you're on a budget, then you don't rely so heavily on Thor just yet so you won't miss it. Plus, there are plenty of Rack Extensions you can use that would give you almost as much options as Thor so you're not really missing out on much.

As Xabition, said you can't find a better way to spend your $99.

well its my personal opinion, im getting confused with all the racks and stuff, some things seems unlogic to me.
but im a simple guy, i just wanna plug my keyboard, hit rec, play
im not really in need for advanced options and such that much more then tweaking my VST's and mix.
i use FL to make my keyboard work as a workstation the cheaper way.

dont say its something wrong with Reason, but its not my cup of thé, many producers tend to stick what they started with somehow.
if i get a mac i will change for loqic, no doubt about it.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

i picked up you're a Reason guy:) now i wanna know why you use Reason, what is it that you like with it?
or are you like me first DAW=Home
I didn't notice your reply until now. Reason was not my first DAW but it was the first I really got to know in depth but even as a fairly new producer I never found it to be complicated at all. I actually found FL to be a bit backwards and still do but I can use FL. These days I use Live and Maschine. My first DAW was Acid Pro unless you count Band in a box but this was before vst was considered a pro option and band in a box at the time couldn't record audio and you couldn't edit the midi in it. This was around 2000-2001. I use Reason because to me it just makes sense its logical. Open a synth and pick a sound or make one. Open a sampler and load something. I don't find Reason to be confusing at all. I don't find any DAW to really be confusing. I might not like how they function but I don't find any specific daw to be complicated at all.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

I'd definitely use FL Studio any day. All of the talk that "FL Studio is for noobs" etc. all DAWS pretty much do the same thing and I've tried many DAWS and a lot don't offer what FL can do, or it's a lot more complicated to do so if they do. I'd say Reason offers some really good racks and sounds, so good for re-wire. But for my base production it'd have to be FL Studio :)
All daws do the same thing but some daws do somethings better than others. FL has the best step sequencing around but when it comes to indepth audio and midi editing its hard to find anything better than Sonar but if you want something more modular Reason is great at that. Every DAW is unique

Reason Essentials 1.5 VS Fruity Edition Is Reason Essentials capable of matching FL studio fruit? If not, can u please be specific about the drawbacks (so i know if its important to me or not)
What are you looking for? That should be your first question.

Debating the merits of FL and Reason is like Republicans and Democrats agreeing on basic laws and rights.

Both sides are trying to accomplish the same thing, create and build a great country (or in this case music) the way they go about it is different. There often isnt a wrong or right answer, just the answer and mindset you agree with based on your own experience.

This Reason vs. FL argument goes in circles every time.

If you have not done so already, try both, and the one that fits your work flow to create heat the fastest is the one you should go with.

SIMPLE ! ! ! ! !

Last edited:
Debating the merits of FL and Reason is like Republicans and Democrats agreeing on basic laws and rights.

Both sides are trying to accomplish the same thing, create and build a great country (or in this case music) the way they go about it is different. There often isnt a wrong or right answer, just the answer and mindset you agree with based on your own experience.

This Reason vs. FL argument goes in circles every time.

If you have not done so already, try both, and the one that fits your work flow to create heat the fastest is the one you should go with.

SIMPLE ! ! ! ! !
so simple, dre hit it dead on. Let's try this comparison : What's better left or right socks? Holy shit they both fit on either foot, and they both keep my feet warm!!!! :O

Back