FL Studio's 9 XXL piano roll problem...

JLoon219

When i try to record a melody using my MIDI keyboard...Its only records 1 bar how can I get it to let me record as long as I want???

JLoon,
It sounds like you may be recording to a pattern with a set interval, which is great for a quick fill or accent, not so much during the composition or vamping phase.
Make sure the pattern you wish to record is not pasted in the arrangement window anywhere and that the digits in the upper left of the step sequencer read [--]. This should allow you to record to the piano roll as long as you'd like.
Just remember, if you're playing over a drum loop/pattern, make sure to have a minute or so worth of the pattern on the arrangement window or your drum will drop out in the middle of your playing.

Hope this helps.

Yours in music,
-J

JLoon,
It sounds like you may be recording to a pattern with a set interval, which is great for a quick fill or accent, not so much during the composition or vamping phase.
Make sure the pattern you wish to record is not pasted in the arrangement window anywhere and that the digits in the upper left of the step sequencer read [--]. This should allow you to record to the piano roll as long as you'd like.
Just remember, if you're playing over a drum loop/pattern, make sure to have a minute or so worth of the pattern on the arrangement window or your drum will drop out in the middle of your playing.

Hope this helps.

Yours in music,
-J

I tried this and it still doesnt work =(...I have nothing on the arrangement window the step sequencer is still at [--] and it keeps repeating the bar back...

are there any other pre-existing samples/instruments/loops/, etc. sharing the same pattern that you are trying to record to. Even if you don't see anything, try recording to a fresh pattern and report your results.
*love_421, I completely forgot about that (I tend to leave it on song mode), good tip. This one's really got me confused.

are there any other pre-existing samples/instruments/loops/, etc. sharing the same pattern that you are trying to record to. Even if you don't see anything, try recording to a fresh pattern and report your results.
*love_421, I completely forgot about that (I tend to leave it on song mode), good tip. This one's really got me confused.

still nothing ='(...and also my notes dont even show up when i finish recording...it doesnt make sense "/

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

i even downloaded the demo to see if theirs anything wrong with my version and it does the same thing smh

Last edited:
JLoon, thanks for the quick responses.
This now sounds more and more like a midi issue. I'd need a little more info to be sure What kind of equiptment are you using? (workstation or controller?) and how does it connect? (MIDI out/USB out?) Do you hear the notes you're playing in real time as you play them? Try opening the Midi Interface window (I think it's in options, I'm going off of memory.) and rescan your devices. I have a USB MIDI controller and sometimes it "forgets" itself, solved with a rescan of hardware or a power cycle of the unit itself more often than not.

JLoon, thanks for the quick responses.
This now sounds more and more like a midi issue. I'd need a little more info to be sure What kind of equiptment are you using? (workstation or controller?) and how does it connect? (MIDI out/USB out?) Do you hear the notes you're playing in real time as you play them? Try opening the Midi Interface window (I think it's in options, I'm going off of memory.) and rescan your devices. I have a USB MIDI controller and sometimes it "forgets" itself, solved with a rescan of hardware or a power cycle of the unit itself more often than not.

I understand what you mean but I took off the MIDI and i just started playing manually on the keyboard and i still have the same problem.

so...you're playing it as an audio-in?...like a guitar? there won't be piano roll then...only on midi tracks. Use Edison on a free mixer track, set your audio in, hit record and go.

There's a couple things you haven't tried yet..

Right click on the record button, make sure "Score" is checked. You may only be recording automation or audio.

If that doesn't work....is it the looped button checked?

ahh...I'm lame...already forgetting my pre-gear days. :banghead: Yeah, I never got the hang of using the computer keyboard. I did the ol' point, click, drag method for my first few songs. I like Wedges' idea...give that a shot. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

**edit** found an old FP thread that may address your issue (but I can't post links yet so...: (this site, with the /forums/ then:)showthread.php?t=208564

Have you pressed Ctrl+T to activate your computer keyboard as a midi controller yet?

Last edited:
ahh...I'm lame...already forgetting my pre-gear days. :banghead: Yeah, I never got the hang of using the computer keyboard. I did the ol' point, click, drag method for my first few songs. I like Wedges' idea...give that a shot. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

**edit** found an old FP thread that may address your issue (but I can't post links yet so...: (this site, with the /forums/ then:)showthread.php?t=208564

Have you pressed Ctrl+T to activate your computer keyboard as a midi controller yet?

yeaa i tried that...idk this is really weird when i use to have 8 it didn't take me this long to figure it out but now since i got 9 this problem started occurring...but i don't have 8 anymore i lost the software months ago

Go into the playlist, click in a bar of pattern 1 in the first space, click another one in about 10 spaces to the right, on the same pattern. Make sure song mode is selected. Now go to your step sequencer, choose your VST or whatever your using, hit record and play and record your midi pattern.

If this does not work for you you are doing something wrong, go back and re read the steps and try it again.

Last edited:
what happens is once the marker is past the 1st bar everything im recording is getting added to the 1st bar. Its pretty odd but basically it just doesnt want to record past the 1st bar.

what i do is just open the piano roll and put a note like at 8 bars or something and turn down the velocity on that note, then just record over it

what happens is once the marker is past the 1st bar everything im recording is getting added to the 1st bar. Its pretty odd but basically it just doesnt want to record past the 1st bar.

Did you put 2 instances of your pattern in the playlist before you started recording? One at the beginning and one about 10 spaces to the right? Do you have that pattern highlighted in the playlist? and song mode is on?

Last edited:
Yeaa dude thats exactly what I did...but even if i keep playing it only shows up on the 1st bar after that it doesnt get anything. Its pretty odd O_O

Back