FL Studio vs Reason

sup FP fam, any of you guys use FL Studio and Reason?

there's a significant difference in quality between the two IMO, and was wondering if it is due to the software or just that the sound bank of Reason is superior to fl studio? don't get me wrong, i've dl a bunch of drumkits and what not and im not using the stock sounds in fl studio lol.

nonetheless i'm trying to achieve the crisp/fuller sounds of Reason using FL Studio and feel like it has something to do with stereo imaging? any suggestions?

Last edited:
FL - very fast workflow
Reason - very predictable sound output after rendering that is very suitable for electronic music.

If you are type of person who feels music already "hear in head" what you want, FL is your pick. Grab sample from left side, like it, put it in. Everything goes so rapidly in FL if you have mastered it, and if you want to lay down whatever you are "hearing in your mind'" It's choice for you. Also, everything else is easy to do in it too, automations, build in LFO's for parameter adjustment automations, everything happens realy quick.

My pick is FL.

try learning a little bit more about mixing. No one D.A.W. sounds better than the other it's all about the artist using it. Key thing I always see in threads like this is some guys can mix well on one d.a.w. and not so well on the other

try learning a little bit more about mixing. No one D.A.W. sounds better than the other it's all about the artist using it. Key thing I always see in threads like this is some guys can mix well on one d.a.w. and not so well on the other
i agree with this but im saying that when u load the same sounds into the each DAW, all things equal, the sound is much clear/crisper/fuller in Reason vs FL Studio ...

i agree with this but im saying that when u load the same sounds into the each DAW, all things equal, the sound is much clear/crisper/fuller in Reason vs FL Studio ...

not really no. If I load the same kick in Reason and in Fl studio and play them both back. without looking at the screen you wouldn't be able to tell which program it came from. this is one of those age old arguments that pops up every couple of months with D.A.W.S

I have both but only use FL. I tried reason, and it it simple and complex at the same time. I admit that I could get some SWEET sounds out of thier synths, but i have an ENDLESS NI Massive sound library, and FL Studio's processes are simple and to the point, so there isnt any wandering off trying to find out how to do what or where something is, you just make beats until they sound good, lay them out on the clipboard where you want them, and viola, you have a track. I have also tried ableton, but only bought the trial version, and i never really like it, so im going to stick with FL Studio from now on as a producer. I also use Virtual DJ for DJ'ing, and i know that sounds really cliche, but i like it over traktor and mixxx so, basically, I have my stuff planned out. And I would highly reccomend that you use FL Studio. Cheers!

i find the FL Studio workflow works best for me. i also like being able to drag and drop samples and the like.

although, for recording live audio, i kinda lean towards Reason. I like the ability to easily add effects and stuff to each separate track and keep it separate while this is possible in FL Studio, i feel like Reason does it better.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

FL Studio also works with VST's :)

Change the pan law.
Project general settings>turn off circular panning.

Simple as that, and it actually has nothing to do with sound quality at all. Just how you hear it.

Reason is good for somethings, I find it a lot simpler to use(Except the step sequencer, its terrible!), and you can get some pretty good sounds out of it, but it never will offer the flexibility FL Studio offers. I cant even describe why I like FL Studios work flow so much, its just really fast to me. Theres less mucking around actually trying to get the DAW to do things for you and more musical creation.

FL - very fast workflow
Reason - very predictable sound output after rendering that is very suitable for electronic music.

If you are type of person who feels music already "hear in head" what you want, FL is your pick. Grab sample from left side, like it, put it in. Everything goes so rapidly in FL if you have mastered it, and if you want to lay down whatever you are "hearing in your mind'" It's choice for you. Also, everything else is easy to do in it too, automations, build in LFO's for parameter adjustment automations, everything happens realy quick.

My pick is FL.
I totally agree. I'm a beginner, but it only took around 2 months to figure out decent production in FL. What I typically do is make a dummy kick track, jam/program out a riff on one of the built-in synths, and replace it with a VST if FL's sounds can't get me what I need. Most of the time it does though, aside from drum samples which are usually downloaded one-shot samples. The best part about picking sounds in FL is the mixer tracks will keep your effects and settings if you swap.

I still cant believe in 2012 people think that one DAW "sounds better".

To be honest I am a firm believer in Workflow.

I am the laziest bastard out there. I hate spending time with simple tasks when I want to be creating. Ive used Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Reason, Tampered with Ableton and have an MC808 Groovebox. I love Sonar for mixing and love FL for creating. I find each compliments my work flow for each task. I would say get better Drum Samples and get better VSTS and/or record live. The quality is going to come from what you feed into it. If you have bad sounds and samples then obviously the track will sound mediocre.

PS, Ive used Reason extensively and I used to always be bothered with how they wouldnt let 3rd party into their software. One Thing I loved was that with ReDrum you can easily flip through samples and audition while the track is playing. something I wish FL would integrate.

Last edited:
Back