FL Studio - Recording Delay

pharrell88

ever since i used FL Studio 3 years ago, there has been 1 big problem... when i seem to record my performances into the piano roll, fl studio moves the data about 20 miliseconds to the left.. so when i press play, the performance is off-time.. does anyone else have this problem? if so please tell me how i can correct this!!!!

it's got something to do with FL Studio's latency compensation settings. What version of FL are you using? And like noble said, what's your buffer settings at, etc?

PC Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+ 1.80 GHz
Memory: 1023 MB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

FL Studio 8 XXL

FL Audio Settings:
ASIO Digidesign Driver
Sample rate (Hz): 44100
Interpolation: Linear
Buffer length: 1024 samples (24ms)
Device: MBox2

thanks guys

i work on 2 computers using FL Studio and they both have the same latency problem which is wierd, but its only a latency problem when im recording... it just like shifts everything to the left... ive attached a photo to help illustrate the latency moved to the left!!!

FLLatency.jpg

actually decreasing my buffer size to the min. 256 has helped my problem... but when i leave it on that buffer size, my project sounds like its skipping the whole time during playback

Last edited:
All that crap you haver running along with FL aint helping at all. You need to at least try an optimise your computer for audio work.

Lol that's just a dock, not running programs...the only other (visible) programs he's running are those 2 instances of Internet Explorer, which he's using to read and respond to this thread. Firefox is better btw :D

Anyways, I think first you should upgrade your PC. Is that a dual core CPU you have? It doesn't look like it. Plus you only have 1 GB of RAM and you're running Vista. You might as well walk with one leg lol.

If you're going to use 1GB of RAM, you should use XP. For Vista, you should use 2GB, preferably 3 or 4GB. Today, 4GB of RAM can be had for less than $60 if you look in the right places.

I'd also recommend you upgrade to a dual core processor. An overclocked Intel Core 2 Duo will do the trick nicely, and they can be had for less than $150.

Regarding the buffer: I'm not an expert on this, but the smaller the buffer, the less displacement there will be when you record. However, the issue is if your hardware and your soundcard/sound device can handle it. You need to find the sweet spot where your audio won't skip or distort, while still keeping the latency as low as possible.

I had similar issues with FL 7 XXL. FL 8 XXL seems to work better with the Asio drivers. Virtually no recording delays. And I use an Axiom 49 keyboard

Back