FL Studio or Reaper?

It depends on which you like best... There is no "which is better".
But personally If I had to choose between those two I'd pick fruity loops, because its easier to use, less of a learning curve.
But I use Reason, so i'm going to throw that in there, lol.

I've never tried reaper before but I currently use FL and I've also tried Reason, I would probably go with FL because for me like JMontez said it has less of a learning curve than most of the other DAWs.

I own both and they are equivalent to me. I just know I don't use Sonar anymore besides its plugins...the daw itself isn't that great.

Either way, I will be switching to the presonus studio one. If I owned a mac I'd be using logic, but I'm a pc user.

Check out S1. For my needs, this demolishes any DAW I've owned and I've owned Sonar, Abelton, Pro Tools m-audio, Reaper, and a few others.

I use Reaper but I'm planning on switching to Pro Tools soon. I recommend FL because of all the tutorials available online it would be much easier to learn, When I used to use FL there was never this much help available.

On the same note as Inverted314, i'm gonna suggest that you try out something that has a fair amount of online support available easily, especially if you're a new DAW/Sampling user.

Quite honestly, no one program is 'better' than the others (although i know some will debate this for sure!), so maybe try your hand at a few programs and see which one suits you best. Just download the free trials if possible...

I did this and I've stuck to Reason 4 and Cubase LE4 (for now), and have learned alot via FP.com and tutorials available on sites such as Youtube. Quite honestly, i've gone from a COMPLETE noob (not even knowin what a DAW was) to making some bangin beats (and a few bucks) in less than 4 months, just by getting my hands on as many online tutorials available as possible.

Good luck to you. Keep bangin.

Peace.

which one would you choose and why?

it depends on where you are on your musicial journey...

are you a sample based composer or non sample based composer?

do you currently know what involved in making a song/beat?

do you know the different aspects of production?

i.e. making a song/beat, mixing and mastering

basically, there are tons of questions that needs to be answered before deciding whether to use/get fl studio or reaper....

but if you are just starting out start with fl studio. learn the first step of production which is making songs/beats and dont worrg about mixing or mastering until you could make a song or beat...

fl studio is a great program for beginners to seasoned songwriters/beatmakers. reaper (imo) is more gear towards exprienced songwriters/beatmakers. what i mean by this is individuals that write songs/beats, mix and master. you can mix and master in fl studio but compared to other DAWs it is not so straight forward (imo).

so, before you purchase anything find out where you are on your musicial journey. do not yeast up where you are on your journey because you will be only fooling yourself.

the bottom line with DAWs is that before your musical journey is over you would have gone throught must DAWs anyways looking for a workflow that suite you.

the key when starting out is learning what it takes to make music and not what DAW you are using because they all basically do the same thing (record audio and midi data)...

p.s. the point about on-line tutorials is good advice too. there are tons of fl studio tutorials out there. once you learn the concepts to music production you will feel at home with any DAW

Last edited:
Back