FL Studio/midi keyboard help

Professor John

Hello,

I received a M-Audio KeyRig 49 for Christmas (which has been great, easy to use, ect.) and I've been using FL studio for around 7 years, but obviously I have not used a midi-keyboard within FL studio which leads me to the following questions.

When recording a score to a pattern, I understand you are supposed to use the snap function for FL studio to place the note is supposed to be played (at least in my head) when there are minor differences in timing between my playing and what I hear in my head. Which grid snap do you guys use/found the most accurate? I feel like I've seen many videos on YouTube where people appear to be seamlessly recording to the metronome and then their FL puts it right on time.

Secondly, as of now, I appear to be only able to score 16 beats at a time. What I mean by this is, I'll have a pattern I want to play, but it is longer than the 16 beats that you can set up on the sequencer. Thus when I start to record the pattern, the first 16 beats seem to record fine, but when I get past that it overdubs on what I have already recorded. Is there any way to be able to play a pattern for as long as you want without it going back to the beginning of the sequencer and recording over it?

Thanks for any responses, and I know the questions were pretty wordy, so if you need some clarification, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

---------- Post added 12-26-2012 at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-25-2012 at 06:53 PM ----------

I thought of a couple more questions. First, is there a way to make the volume of the notes consistent and not dependent on how hard the keys on the midi are pressed?

My second question is, that when I play chords it seems to only pick up one note, so is there a way to enable chords being played through the midi keyboard?

Third, is there a way to record a score in a pattern while the full song is playing?

Thanks,
John

Secondly, as of now, I appear to be only able to score 16 beats at a time. What I mean by this is, I'll have a pattern I want to play, but it is longer than the 16 beats that you can set up on the sequencer. Thus when I start to record the pattern, the first 16 beats seem to record fine, but when I get past that it overdubs on what I have already recorded. Is there any way to be able to play a pattern for as long as you want without it going back to the beginning of the sequencer and recording over it?

Use the playlist, put one line at 1, and another line wherever you want it to loop back, make sure song mode is on and start recording.

My second question is, that when I play chords it seems to only pick up one note, so is there a way to enable chords being played through the midi keyboard?

Make sure your polyphony is set to how ever many notes you want to play one once. Some sounds only allow one note to the played at one time, it just depends on the sound you are working with. If you're using VSTs there should be a polyphony setting inside the VST.

Third, is there a way to record a score in a pattern while the full song is playing?

Make sure you are in song mode and select a pattern in the playlist, when you hit play and record, whenever the time marker hits the pattern block you placed in the playlist it will record what you play.

flpic34.jpg

Thanks for the help, that worked out great.

Do you have any advice on what to set the "Snap" function to? Also, do you know the answer to my question about keeping the volume consistent in the piano roll?

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-09-2013 at 09:37 PM ----------

Actually, when I put the two bars in the playlist, it still seemed to only record 16 beats and loop over itself

Thanks for the help, that worked out great.

Do you have any advice on what to set the "Snap" function to? Also, do you know the answer to my question about keeping the volume consistent in the piano roll?

---------- Post added 01-10-2013 at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-09-2013 at 09:37 PM ----------

Sorry i don't know if it's possible to to keep a constant velocity while using a midi controller unless there is a "full velocity" setting on your controller. I usually have my "snap" set to "line" and then you can adjust the notes manually in the piano roll if you need to.

Actually, when I put the two bars in the playlist, it still seemed to only record 16 beats and loop over itself

Make sure you are in "song" mode.

Last edited:
Back