FL Studio or Logic?? HELP

matthewm77

So I've finally got a new computer to start producing and don't want to wait any longer. I like FL Studio from the short time I used it but ill have to get windows and run bootcamp and people say logic is hard to learn? If I haven't really gotten used to a DAW yet will there be a learning curve? I have a 27" iMac with an intel i5 if that matters.

I can't imagine that Logic could be harder to learn than most other DAWs. FL Studio, however, IS easier to sink your teeth into than most other DAWs.

If you're disciplined and watch pro-quality video tutorials (Groove3, MacProVideo, etc.), the learning curve is leveled out a bit.
I learned Reason by watching 26 consecutive hours of tutorial videos. Around hour #25, you KNOW I was fidgeting in my seat, but NONE of the other series are THAT long. ;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Logic is a great DAW especially after the new update released for logic X, drum machine, easy to use interface, and limitless amount of possibilities for editing audio and composing. Opposed to FL studio which is great but you will find occassionally things you want to do that you just cant do, different automations or temporal velocities etc.

Logic, despite the name, is not the most Logical DAW for everyone. It's a great DAW, but it has a slew of features which you may not use, depending on what you want to do, and if you're looking for a workflow along the lines of FL studio, you won't find it with Logic.

If you're producing loop based music, Ableton is a great way to go, but it has a learning curve, too; truth be told, all DAWs do, for the most part. It really depends on what you want to do; what kind of music are you producing?

If you feel best with FL, I would personally say to use bootcamp and stick with FL -- stick with what you know. Spending time re-learning a DAW is a pain, and you won't be producing music while you're doing that.

Just my two cents.

In my opinion, FL Studio is the easiest of all to learn, creating melodies, loops it is extremely easy and fast, general interface is very friendly to everyone, but if you wants to go to a different DAW is more troublesome. Is easier to go for example, from cubase/ableton to logic, than from FL to Logic. I remember when I started with fl, learn the interface and generally most of the features, took me about a few days, less than a week. For comparison, when i learned Cubase, i spent a month on it.

One of the disadvantages of FL in the opinion of many people is sound quality worse than in other programs. But is a myth, the fact is that the fl studio takes most of the computer resources than others daw's. and need a good sound card.

if you have a Mac, no problem, there is also Mac version of FL Studio.

and finally, the most important are your skills, you can create a great track regardless of what program you use to, so if you work comfortably in fl, stick with it ;)

Just my 2 cents. Download and demo Reason 7, Reaper, Live 9, and Studio One 2. Simply because there is no demo for Logic, it would be better to know your other options on Mac before jumping into darkness with your fingers crossed.

I have Reason set up and routed to get all the best features I needed from both FL and Pro Tools inside it. I'm not sure I could do that with any other Daw I listed, but that's the point, you have to figure out what you're looking for in a DAW and set yourself up the best way possible.

I will say, if you're into sampling, you may wanna take a step back from Logic. Not sure what's changed with the upgrade, but that's why I could never get into it in the past.

IMO Fl Studio is awesome for starters. I know you're gonna hate hearing that, but for just starting out, and not knowing much. FL will teach basics of making beats. After awhile you'll want to do more with you're music if you stick with it and you're committed.

I recently just switched from fl to ableton. Mostly because ableton's workflow is insanely better and is way easier to record using my midi and push. If you don't have ANY hardware. Go with fl. That's what I did. If you have a controller or anything else I would use logic. Fact of the matter is that FL's ability to implicate midi into the arrangement is worse than other daw's IMO. It also really depends what music you make. I personally make electronic hip-hop, funky bass, and trap music.

Overall, it sounds like you're investing quite a bit into producing. If you're serious about it and have passion for making music. I would go the extra mile and get ableton. Plus, you can use fl studio as a vst in ableton.

Last edited:
Back