FL Studio - Buffer Underruns and audio interfaces

SBT

Hey guys,

New user here, but I've been using FL studio for a few yrs now. I've been experiencing buffer underruns for a while now with FL studio, and I've increased the buffer size and tried the ASIO4ALL driver as well, with varying (unsatisfactory) success. I'm currently using the onboard soundcard and I'm currently considering buying an audio interface. The problem is I have no idea about anything when it comes to audio interfaces lol.

My main questions are: will an external audio interface DEFINITELY solve the buffer underrun issue? Are there any good ones around the $80-100 price range? And what criteria should I consider when buying one?

I mainly use VSTs, so right now I think I'll need an audio interface that can also handle vocals and some light instrument recording.

Thanks In advance

Buffer underruns aren't caused by the soundcard, they're caused by a software doing heavier CPU processing than the computer can handle.
An audio interface in conclusion is just a box of different kinds of inputs and output giving you the ability to plug in different kinds of gear to your computer.

If you want to reduce the problem with buffer underruns, you need to take away other things that steal CPU when working in your DAW.
Switch off the WIFI and Bluetooth, close all unnecessary programs that are running. Even open the task manager and end unnecessary processes (avoid this if you're not sure what you're doing).
If you're still having issues, learn to use less heavy plugins, and get familiar with bouncing your sounds to wav format instead of having a huge bunch of sounds with MIDI-information to deal with.
You should get quite far by doing this, so if you still have severe issues with buffer underruns, maybe you should consider upgrading your CPU-unit.

Back