FL Studio 8.5 Is Released...AMAZING

Sqito said:
A new version of FL is available and noone really seems to care. Why? Because (I might be wrong) 99% of the people using FL in this forum is using a pirated copy and can't access the new beta version until someone leaks it? I don't know. :D

For me, FL is missing the boat on the basics. They're just piling on more quirky stuff. I think they need to get the basics right and fix the things that have been broken forever and just make it more normal. Dealing with clips in the sequencer is very quirky.

L. A. Stone said:
For me, FL is missing the boat on the basics. They're just piling on more quirky stuff. I think they need to get the basics right and fix the things that have been broken forever and just make it more normal. Dealing with clips in the sequencer is very quirky.

Word...Also I think FL is just looking idk kinda "fruity" lolz

Man, there are just some things about FL that make me not want to use it. It crashes pretty often when I rewire Reason into it and when I use battery 3 so I have moved to just using Reason 4.0. Stability is a huge thing to me and while FL is a great DAW it has crashed on me countless times throughout the past few weeks and I just can't handle it. We'll see how long I last using just Reason 4.0.

I know when most of us make music, we roll through sounds quickly to find the right one. So why am I the only one who finds it a must to be able to right click on the sample or soundfont or fst icon in the sample browser to immediately send it to the channel. FL5 or 6 was the last version that allowed this. You guys don't roll through sounds that quick or what?

I don't use the browser, just use vstis and I know where everything is so I don't care

And fl studio has never crashed on me rewiring to reason

And fl studio has never crashed on me rewiring to reason

Last edited by a moderator:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Totally agree w/this being that I was one of the first people on FP teaching people to Rewire and still can answer the most intricate questions involving FL Studio.

I went to using Reason exclusively because of OVERKILL. Every producers different, I tend to get unorganized, so between an MPC 2000XL, a Korg Triton Rack, Reason, FL Studio, SONAR, and Pro Tools, not to mention somewhere around 20 virtual synth plug ins, I realized I needed to contain my creativity. All my MPC, Battery, FL sounds are packed in Refills, and instead of skimming bank after bank in vsti after vsti until I find the sound I want, I know exactly where to go to find what I want now.

I almost bought a Motif because I just wanted one controlled enviroment where everything from beginning to end was all done in one controlled and organized console. No turning on 4 things to make 1 beat play, no getting rid of a buncha stuff wasting space you never use just to find out that 1 sub in that 1 song was in that library and you can't find a good replacement.

Reason is perfect for that being that it's the only one of all the above mentioned things that is completely self-contained. I don't even use Recycle. lol.

But although I sometimes joke up here that "FL Sux" to play with peoples insecurities, honestly, out of both the hardware and software I own, my personal opinion is FL does more and gives you more bang for buck than anything else on the market.

Hell, I can go back to using it at FL 20.5 for absolutely no upgrade fee, no one else is giving you that sweet of a deal. But I feel comfortable knowing I gave up some 200-300gb of junk along w/hardware for a Reason Folder that's 16gb of sounds and I'm making better music than ever. :cheers:

you don't feel like you are missing out not having vstis like v-station, zebra, all the eastwest libraries, and NI synths in your setup?

L. A. Stone said:
I think they need to get the basics right and fix the things that have been broken forever and just make it more normal. Dealing with clips in the sequencer is very quirky.
How exactly? I, for one, think it's kinda intuitive the way it is. And what basics do you mean? What exactly do you feel being broken?

Man, there are just some things about FL that make me not want to use it. It crashes pretty often when I rewire Reason into it and when I use battery 3 so I have moved to just using Reason 4.0. Stability is a huge thing to me and while FL is a great DAW it has crashed on me countless times throughout the past few weeks and I just can't handle it. We'll see how long I last using just Reason 4.0. 2 Days Ago 03:54 AM
You realize it's a beta release and that you're encouraged to report any stability issues to the developers so they can iron out whatever is going wrong with the program, don't you?

Last edited:
Beta 3 of 8.5 has been released. Nothing really major in it, just bugfixes:

Here are the issues fixed between beta2 & beta 3:
  • The browser preview mixer track can't be set higher than 64.
  • all my projects with zebra2 get noise on the zebra channel (like a full peak digital noise)
  • Loading an older project with Fruity Delays in it, now the delays are out of sync.
  • Every time when I open Riff (from tools or from Piano Roll) and turn off "show details" and then switch to "Levels" and turn "show details" back on.
  • By the way the Parameter Automation record is a bug I tried all the non FLStudio VST I have and they do the same thing.
  • janko keyboard input mode, the enter key also is translated, it's a bit disturbing.
  • BeepMap crashes
  • just a small issue in the "Scale levels" tool: the tooltip of the new center knob says "Tension".
  • Load the New Stuff FLP file. Project starts to load. Gets to Fruity Multiband Compressor and crashes.
  • garbage when last of the mixer/playlist icons was used
  • very long hovering display in browser when a drive letter was added as an extra folder
  • browser F5/F6 making it lose kb focus
  • FSC score saving being broken (was actually saving them as MIDI files)
  • display bug for piano roll note levels (I also made slide notes no more on top of normal notes)
  • reeverb 2's early reflection bug
  • bug in envelope smoothing tool in Sytrus

Trankwil said:
I know when most of us make music, we roll through sounds quickly to find the right one. So why am I the only one who finds it a must to be able to right click on the sample or soundfont or fst icon in the sample browser to immediately send it to the channel. FL5 or 6 was the last version that allowed this. You guys don't roll through sounds that quick or what?

I'm pretty sure that same functionality is still there in every version of FL Studio. I think you just have to do something like Control click. It makes sense because if you right click, you have a bunch of options now. But Control Click will just go ahead and send that item to the channel. But I would also add that, this particular thing is exactly what's wrong with FL Studio. We're used to right clicking and getting menus. So we right click something by accident, it sends the sample to a channel that happens to be selected and overwrites what's there and there's no undo! FL is riddled with that kind of stuff, especially with using the scroll wheel. You can move notes around in the sequencer or piano roll without even having them selected. It just moves whatever is closest to the mouse pointer.

Ironically, the new way of loading the next/previous preset/sample/whatever actually is a "feature" first introduced in FL8 which I thought was a bug at first and I even reported it to Image-Line as such.

Once the browser is focussed, hit F5/F6 to load the previous/next item into the currently selected channel in the step sequencer.

If you, like me, use the functions keys to open/close the most important panels, that "feature" might really get annoying. Before FL8 F5 was bound to the Playlist, F6 to the stepsequencer. Now, all of a sudden those keys do something differnt while the browser has focus.
Sucks, but I've also found a workaround for it that sort of works for me. :/

Last edited:
I don't want to say I'm jealous kuz I just got a MAC with Logic Pro 8 and Reason. I'm good for now... but I do kinda miss my humble beginnings.

Jim Bond said:
I hope they upgraded the mixer...
They did. It now can process effects in different threads meaning that it spreads the FX load across several CPUs/Cores.
It can now also interpret multiple audio inputs for one mixer channel which allows it to use real sidechaining features.
Oh, not really major, but the trackcount was also upped from 64 to 99 tracks.
Those were the biggies, I guess

I just recently updated. Those people that claim they are staying on "FL5 or 6 (for various reasons....)" are really missing out. Last night, I updated from FL8 to Beta 3. The RAM/ CPU usage seems to be a lot better for multiple core processors. I spent over an hour using the mixer alone applying different effects. Also, playing around with the Gross plugin I came out with some interesting effects. The only thing I don't particularly like is the new "loading bar" I find it to be annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, this is a really small thing, but it also really annoys me that it doesnt support mono channels in the mixer.

Jim Bond said:
You know, this is a really small thing, but it also really annoys me that it doesnt support mono channels in the mixer.

7 does.. I only use mostly mono sounds, especially on tracks where im squezing alot of instruments, because i can mixem alot easier as mono sounds. When you track it out though its all stereo.

7 does.. I only use mostly mono sounds, especially on tracks where im squezing alot of instruments, because i can mixem alot easier as mono sounds. When you track it out though its all stereo.
lol how do you do that? You can do that in the mixer (like pro tools?)? I have 8

Last edited:
Trankwil said:
you don't feel like you are missing out not having vstis like v-station, zebra, all the eastwest libraries, and NI synths in your setup?
Actually, yes, lol, I miss them daily. That's why I overstress, everyone's workflow is left to their opinion.

My entire life I produced on limited setups....just an MC-303/ a $99 Casio, Alesis SR16, and a one button Gemni Mixer/ just an MPC 2000XL...

Then with the transition to software, and the fact I started doing music as a career, I began to accumulate too much stuff. I got to the point where I spent more time focusing on my sounds than just making music.

I went to using nothing but Reason for my production(not even Recycle or Rewiring for FX) to kind of give myself that old feel that makes you spark creativity out of lack of resources.

I wouldn't suggest everyone doing it, but I knew I had to limit myself to expand, until I'm done expanding, I'll keep myself limited.

I've updated 2 of my old skins for the new beta in case someone is interested:

mpcskin85_184.png

download:
http://www.sqeetz.com/Stuff/sQeetz_mpcSKIN_beta85.zip

nflux_131.png

download:
http://www.sqeetz.com/Stuff/sQeetz_nFlux.Platinum_1280_FL85beta.zip

Back