Emulated MIDI devices break between Cubase 5.1 and Cubase SX?

N

nemo

I have been trying to migrate from Cubase 5.1 to Cubase SX. I use a MidiSport 4x4 USB interface to drive my external synthesizers and samplers. I can't seem to get Cubase SX to handle the ports of the MidiSport correctly. They show up in the device list but with "[emulated]" after the name.
I've read a lot about the reason for the MIDI devices showing up as "emulated" but have seen nothing about how this could cause them to not function.
I can shutdown Cubase SX and fire up 5.1 and it sees and can send MIDI to everything just fine.
Initially when I first started using SX it was working but then I think it stopped working after I tried to get Cubase SX and ReWire to map into Reason (which I never got working). Since then I have not found the option to get it working again; I've also tried reinstalling Cubase SX completely, then it worked for little while but then stopped working again (this time I changed nothing). I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the MidiSport a few times, as well as tried replugging the MidiSport into the USB bus in an attempt to reset it. Since it works perfectly under 5.1 I am still suspecting this layer of emulation going on in SX.

If anyone can offer any tips to get me going here I'd really appreciate it. This roadblock is starting to really impact my studio productivity! :cool:

So if I get it right you see the emulated devices but they're not working?

Which version of SX are you using? Since 1.02 or so there's a MIDI port filter which might not work with some MIDI interfaces and can be disabled.

If you use version 1.02 or higher, you'll find a MIDI port filter.txt in SX's main directory:

Cubase SX / SL 1.02 and higher provides an option to remove redundant entries. However, in some cases the non-filtered, left over MIDI ports that will show up in the MIDI device list of Cubase SX / SL can be the ones that actually do not work as the MIDI interface driver doesn't support the DirectMusic architecture as Cubase SX / SL would expect.

These cases were for example found with the following MIDI Interfaces:
- MIDIMAN MIDIsport 8x8
- MOTU MIDITimepieceAV

In this case, you can re-enable the filtered MIDI ports by proceeding as follows:

- Browse to the Cubase SX / SL application folder (usually C:\programs\steinberg\cubasesx)
and locate the folder "MIDI Port Enabler"
- Open this folder
- Pick the file "ignoreportfilter" and move it into the Cubase SX / SL application folder (one directory up)
- Start Cubase SX / SL

I ended up finding your advice on the cubase.net forums, also. Thanks for the help; it ended up being related to this port filtering issue, I also had turned off MIDI Thru in Cubase while I was troubleshooting and this was needed to get it working once I had the MIDI ports all setup correctly.

Good news is that I managed to get my Cubase SX all tricked out for my studio last night and managed to record some nice drum loops. Many thanks, keep it up!

Back