Dont take FL seriously!

P

P.JUKU

why do people try to knock FL likes its for pre school kids or something? When I first started makin beats I started with Fruity Loops and dudes would hear my tracks and go "oh shii you got heat..what's your set-up?". Ill say fruity loops they say "no way, that's it, just fruity loops, you need an mpc or something, nobodies gonna take you seriously fam." A million people wanted me to in house for them also and would act like I had to make tracks on an mp or fantom to get anywhere...I went n copped an little mpc 1000, a midi keyboard and found out anything anyone can do on an mpc I can do on FL and the shii sound even iller. The qualities the same it gets tracked out in pro tools anyway.. Why do people knock software n general?

Not accepting that times are changing, you got major hardware companies (Akai, Roland, Yamaha etc,) making flagship SOFTware and INTERFACES

Last edited:
why do people try to knock FL likes its for pre school kids or something?

Actually with the right set up, it could be an amazing toy/tool for pre-school kids.

Bright lights flashing pretty colors, with lots of beeps and boops and other random sounds, and toss in the speech synthesizer and u got a decked out Speak 'N Say.

All we need now is a option to get the little bouncing ball to jump with the speech synth a la karaoke and it's a wrap.

Isn't that in FL8?

A cow says "MOOOO. BOOM BOOM POW!"

the same reason everyone had playstations, but knocked the saturn, dreamcast and xboxes... no one gives things a chance, or they listen to friends without tryin... everyone that owns an mpc will try to push one on you... no one realizes that FL8 isnt FL3 anymore... the new program is lightyears ahead of the previous renditions.

da relic

FL Studio as I understand it is one of the most accessable DAWs. But it's also an incredible piece of software and is extremely powerful if you know what you're doing.

I think there should be a sticky thread with a list of all the major artists/producers who use FL Studio or have at one point in their career used it. Then we could show all those imbeciles that don't know crap about music that FL Studio is not a kid's toy, nor was it designed to be such.

Pretty much every dance music producer would have at one stage at least used FL Studio because that's what it was designed for at it's core: Electronic music including Hip-Hop/Trip-Hop.

me love me fl studio 5. wouldnt trade her for the world. she makes things sound good to me, make me crunk when im feeling down, and she makes my monitors feel real good. easy to get along with and she doesnt fuss fight or shut down. she's compatible and friendly with any and everything i bring her way like a charm. and she tells me what i want to hear when i want to hear it. and unlike other people i dont get beat blocked or side swiped by anything. we work so well together i can make something happen at will with no hesitation. i'm happy with my fl studio 5, i hope you guys are fortunate to feel the same way about your shyet the way i do with mine. we've been going hard for about 5 years now, with no intentions of stoping or slowing down.

Pretty much every dance music producer would have at one stage at least used FL Studio because that's what it was designed for at it's core: Electronic music including Hip-Hop/Trip-Hop.

Let's not exaggerate now :)... FL is a fine set of tools and doesn't have any more to be ashamed of, when compared to its peers, than any other comparable package. Each DAW software has its own highs and lows. But to say that one package is something "pretty much every dance music producer would have used at one stage" is an overstatement, no matter what product you mention in that context.

There are so many alternative paths to take, and genres so wide have people exploring the landscape all over the map. Taking hugely different paths. In electronic dance music, there are numerous people who have started out with hardware, learning the ins and outs of a handful of equipment very well. Then there are the people who have started out on trackers instead of a "modern" DAW package (not implying that there aren't modern trackers around nowadays, mind you), and so on. And speaking of DAW software products seemingly designed for edm at their core, Ableton Live is one with a very strong electronic music pull as well.

The paths to take vary greatly, and most important is that you're comfortable on the path you are on yourself.

Last edited:
I have used FL as my main beat machine and sequencing for about 6years since it was ver 3 or 4 back then. Alongside sonar in pc for my personal projects and protools in mac for mixes and what not. I have heard so much bad stuff and it's for kids etc etc...BUT! For over the years I have tried several softwares both in mac and pc, I would say it's the easiest software to make beats and make scratch tracks. Using my own samples and vsts just makes me wish it had a mac version. It is by my preference though. Tools are tools...It all boils down to the output. I love FruityLoops! No matter what they say...

bout the same here. been using FL since it was Fruity 3! pretty much...it's bout the only thing i need really. i use acid for vocals...audition 3 for cleanup! other than that...that's all i really need to get by...AND THEN SOME!!

if people really didnt take Fl seriously then it wouldnt get so much attention on these threads..think about it...any thread that says anything about FL gets many replies

it's ignorance,

for me I use reason 4, with a mpd32 midi controller
if you have a good computer, with good software, then I don't see the difference between a mpc and software

because when you think about it, it's the same methods that most cats use to make the beat, from sampling, to choping up the sample manually and placing the chops into the 16 velocity pads

same strategy.. to me software is more convient, it's a faster work flow, and you have the luxury of a big computer monitor instead of that small mpc screen

a computer overall is more powerful then any drum machine, you can add more hard drive space and memory

From What Ive seen people Don't take FL Seriously because, they feel like anyone can get on the software and use it. People are just so use to there Big ole Gigantic Hardware that takes more time to learn and costs a lot more money and since that is the case, people don't respect FL as much. Needless to say that is a stupid reason to disrespect something. It's funny Up and coming rappers hear beats and do everything in there power to get a beat for free. If you were to ask them why they would say, things like I really don't have the money to pay for beats right now." but at the same time they really want the beat right? So if there going to complain about producers charging for there beats, than why even get mad if a producer Uses FL Studio. Its just halarious to me. It isn't what' you use, its how you use it. People are always going to have something to say, just do what makes you feel comfertable. You can do on Software what you can on hardware and vice verca.

From What Ive seen people Don't take FL Seriously because, they feel like anyone can get on the software and use it. People are just so use to there Big ole Gigantic Hardware that takes more time to learn

Coming from an mpc2000, FL is more complex actually.
The mpc is a pretty simple machine to learn.
That's why it always confused me when some hardware users would complain because FL was supposedly so easy?
It is fairly easy to dive into, but no easier than an mpc.

FL is my centerpiece, i have made 5 minutes bangers to 7 day masterpieces out of it i have progressed from fl 4 to fl 8 with a full studio to back it, fl is good and i have used everything from mixcraft to mpcs to logic and as far as beat creation there is nothing that I would choose over it ( i have to find me a daw because live has became my remix tool more than anything)

Let's not exaggerate now :)... FL is a fine set of tools and doesn't have any more to be ashamed of, when compared to its peers, than any other comparable package. Each DAW software has its own highs and lows. But to say that one package is something "pretty much every dance music producer would have used at one stage" is an overstatement, no matter what product you mention in that context.
Ok, well maybe saying 'every' dance music producer was exaggerating. However, it is a very, very popular tool in dance music so maybe I should downgrade that "every" to "most." ;)

Back