Does anyone else use Reaper to make beats?

shinobi791

I use Reaper to make beats and I feel like I'm in the minority here. Everyone I talk to either says they use FL Studio, Ableton, or some other DAW. So is there anyone here who uses Reaper to make beats? Also, what do you like about it compared to the other DAWs you've used?

Messed with reaper a bit before in the past, liked it so far.
I like how it handles sequencing too come to think of it but my main daws for production have been Reason/Studio One/FL Studio.

Reaper works pretty good for beats in my experience. If your looking at budget DAW's also look at Tracktion(version 5 is very very good, and free!), and Podium.
For strait up easy to grasp, and easy midi workflow EnergyXT might be the ticket though. Development is slow, but there is something about it that just flows. Also just $30.

Let's not forget getting an older version for less or black fridays.
Cuz reason 5 was like 50 bucks when 6.5 came out lol.

started from FL Studio, went to reason (sold that), got reaper (put it on the side), then studio one, then Live lol

While I was working with ableton I kind of picked up reaper again. Learned the basics, tweaked it, made my own toolbars, actions and all that. Honestly, I look at it as a happy medium between FL Studio, S1 and Live since I've tweaked it to my liking. It doesn't mean it has the exact features or workflow of the other DAWs, it's just that the tweaks I made take cues from those three, especially the shortcuts and screen sets. Based on my workflow, it has better audio editing than Live and FL, better MIDI editing than S1. Can change grid division on the fly like Live, can drag and drop samples from the arrange page to Battery or poise or other VST, and KIND of has a lifetime free update like FL lol

Downside of Reaper in my experience is it's kind of daunting to look at at first. You'll get bombarded by contextual commands, menus and all that. The barrier for entry was kind of discouraging. When you do learn to tweak it, another downside is you might feel you have to tweak some more lol Wish it had a better sampler and stock plugin gui but hey if it helps to in making it light on the CPU it's all good.

Back