Do u need a USB connection from your Hardware synth in order for FL to see it/use it

RockDaBeatsss

so ive hooked up my fantom via usb to my computer for it to work with Fruity loops

but how about my Korg triton LE, im struggling trying to connect it, it doesnt have a USB connect.. and im trying to do it the i guess OLD SCHOOL way using MIDI LOL and it wont work?

am i doin somethin wrong??????

please answer because im ready to run into a wall here. thx

When you connect using MIDI cables to/from your Triton it will not show up as a MIDI interface because what you are pluging the MIDI cables into is the MIDI interface, the Fantom has regular old MIDI connections too but it is also a built in USB MIDI interface (like that of a sound card etc) and that is why it will show up. You need to use the MIDI plugin in FL that lets you select channels, ports, banks and patches (if you dig around on the web you might even find a patch script for the Triton so you can select the patches by name).

Ur sound card has to have a midi I/O if not you can buy one of those usb midi interfaces which are around 39-79 bucks or so....

I think he has a MIDI interface to plug the cables into but he is expecting the Triton to pop up on an options page like it is a USB device/MIDI interface.

If he was lacking a MIDI interface on his sound card he could use the one on the Fantom to connect the Triton to FL.

The usb device/midi interface that the triton is plugged up to via midi should pop up as the option in the midi section in preferences. He may have to change a setting in the triton for it function as a midi controller(I use to have a fantom and it was hooked up to an emu sound card via midi cables). But if he enables his sound card as an input in the midi section the triton should work perfectly as a midi controller.

Last edited:
According to his other thread he has a MOTU 828mk2 so that will be the in/out options he should use for his Triton in FL (assuming that's what the Triton is connected to) and to use the Triton as a controller he would set up a generic controller on the MOTU 828mk2's input. To trigger the Triton he would use the FL MIDI plugin set to the same port as the MOTU 828mk2's MIDI output.

Last edited:
Yup that's correct. He would only have to do the last step though if he actually wanted to use the sounds from the triton and use edison or some thing to record them assuming he has the audio in's and outs connected..

He certainly has enough connections available and it would be a shame not to use the Triton for it's sounds, he might have to change a few settings to get up and running but he should be quite happy once he gets his head around changing Triton patches and tweaking sounds from within FL.

thanks all for the replies Preciate it :)

So step by step.. i plug in my 2 Midi In and Out Cables into the Back of my motu 828 mk2 SOUNDCARD for starters

next up, in Fruity i go into OPTIONS> MIDI SETTINGS > Input MOTU 828>

and on my OUTPUT i select MOTU 828>
Enable (on) and select as a Generic Controller

next i go to Channels Add one - Midi OUT and i select a PORT # that corresponds to my Midi Channel in my Triton

anything else i should do here guys??

On the output of Motu in the midi preferences put the port number to 1 and that will be the port for the triton. When you add a midi out make shure the port number is also 1. You only need to change channel in the midi out to change the sound don't change the port. Say you had the fantom on port 2 then if u were to change the port it would play sounds from the fantom instead of the triton.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a smart ass but u do have the audio outs from ur boards to the audio in on your soundcard right?

And to just use the Triton as a controller, there's no real need to hook up the MIDI out from the MOTU to the Triton - unless you need some kind of a transport sync or something.

Not to sound like a smart ass but u do have the audio outs from ur boards to the audio in on your soundcard right?

at this point, no i dont i have the audio outs from my MOTU going to a small behringer mixer, but im still able to get sound from it.
i know where your harping at, later on down the road when i need to record the audio, ill need to plug in my 1/4 inch cables into my sound card :)
and record the audio clips
thx bro

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

cool i wanna use my hardware synth simultaneously with fruity..

kinda like having 4 tracks from my triton, another from a V-synth
and having fruity loops sequencer for my drums as well dude :)

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM ----------

On the output of Motu in the midi preferences put the port number to 1 and that will be the port for the triton. When you add a midi out make shure the port number is also 1. You only need to change channel in the midi out to change the sound don't change the port. Say you had the fantom on port 2 then if u were to change the port it would play sounds from the fantom instead of the triton.

Question about something really annoying, i dont know if you had the same issue with your hardware synth at one point but when i have my triton and fruity finally working together...

i'll change the patch in my triton on the dial and i get a completely different sound than what i intended it to be, like ill want per say a techno synth and ill get something completely different (another patch)

The way I work with my hardware is I change patches from my sequencer (I use Cubase but you can do the same in FL) I imagine that what you have happening is you select a patch on the Triton and it changes to what ever patch you have selected in the FL MIDI out plugin when you hit play (the Triton is taking it's orders from FL).

Last edited:
so let me get this straight you dont have audio cables connected from your triton to your soundcard and you are wondering why you cant hear the sounds from the Triton? Midi does not output sound u need to send audio via audio cables from the triton to the motu problem solved

Back