Do i need Pro Tools??

mrbigrzl

I have my eyes on a mv 8800 for my home studio. I have watched videos with the Rza saying the mv has its own pro tools inside it. So i was wondering should i get pro tools with a audio interface with the mv, or just record and mix from the mv? Im just doin hip hop music. I dont want to pay for something, if I already have it. The mv looks nice with the vga screen hooked up. Idk, im stuck on this. Id appreciate the feedback!!!

Completely wrong. There is no PT inside of the MV 8000, or 8800. It's a production studio, not OpenLabs!!! If that statement was made, it's because the MV can be considered an all-in-one sequencer. You can record your vocals, make your track, mix your session and burn right to CD. Nothing else needed if your a beginner. Work with that, then move as you see fit with regards to buying other products. Also, if you get PT you automatically get an audio interface with it, or better yet the other way around.

Good luck

ok cool! btw, say i wanted to record vocals into it, it doesnt have phantom power for the mics. What adapter if any can i buy so i can record vocals into the mv with phantom power?

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest trying to do a whole song via vocals on the MV. Just because you can, don't mean that you should. That process will hog all your memory up. If you already have a computer, invest in either Logic or PT. If you get Logic ($499) you will need to also have some type of audio interface, if you go the PT route, you only need the Mbox Mini ($270) right now; it will come with the PT software. Check your PC compatibility for PT (8 & 9).

If your just starting out and if I had it to do all over again, this is what I'll get:

Mac or PC
Midi Keyboard
Audio Interface
DAW of choice (PT, Logic, Cubase, Record, FLStudio, etc.....)
Speakers (you can use your house speakers)
Microphone

Once you've mastered that, then go outside the box with the hardware.

Just my opinion, not law.

Actually, the memory in either of the MVs will be more than adequate to do everything that you want to do. The CPU and memory in them is far more powerful I think than the person above realizes.

I would say the opposite - master that piece of hardware first and worry about going back into the box later on. It's a tough learning process, the MV, so stick with it, but it is a really powerful piece of beatmaking and engineering equipment.

Skip the MV man. You can do a lot with computers and midi controllers. Realistaclly speaking. I've used one before and ditched it. You'll find out yourself in the future(If you ever get into that route) that you'll need computers running alongside with the MV for some other VST and mastering needs and will realize you can just do it all in the computer.

Back