delay in audio feedback using mbox 2 mini?

J

jroc2008

when I am recording vocals with the mbox 2 mini with my headphones on and when i hear my voice on the feedback it is a little delay is there a way that i can fix this

Dont Plug your head phones into the front head phone jack. Because the the 'Mix' dial doesnt affect it, plug your headphones into one of the monitor outputs on the back. turn the Mix all the way to one side (i forget which way =P) and you'll hear no perceptable delay

okay but then I can't hear my audio that I am recording on and plus I only hear audio through one side of myheadphone I need to fix this problem asap I have the mbox 2 mini and I am trying to connect it to my mixer ( xenyx1622fx behringer) because I have a motif and sound modules that I connect to it and plus the mic I have an XLR cable running from the mic output on the mbox to my main outs (mono) on my mixer.. is there anyway I can control this delay or latency please help

there is NO Mic line outputs on the Mbox. only the line level monitor outputs. the ONLY way to not hear the latency is to plug headphones or speakers into those monitor outputs. to hear it on both sides, get a splitter. to hear audio you've already recorded while your recording change protools to Auto Input Monitoring.

fureethenemesis said:
when im recording vocals on protools le my mic input goes to one side, and im using MBOX 2mini
If you are using only one mic. you only need one channel.
No need for stereo

I've also got the same issues with the MBox 2 Mini!.. Why is only the left side outputing audio?

As for the latency I still don't see the solution in your posts guys!

Dont Plug your head phones into the front head phone jack. Because the the 'Mix' dial doesnt affect it, plug your headphones into one of the monitor outputs on the back. turn the Mix all the way to one side (i forget which way =P) and you'll hear no perceptable delay

there is NO Mic line outputs on the Mbox. only the line level monitor outputs. the ONLY way to not hear the latency is to plug headphones or speakers into those monitor outputs. to hear it on both sides, get a splitter. to hear audio you've already recorded while your recording change protools to Auto Input Monitoring.

Wrong!

Your headphone are for the front port. Set your buffer lower. Try 128 for buffer size. That should work fine. Do NOT plug ur headphones in the back. They go in the headphone jack sitting right on the front. I have an MBox 2 Mini I use with my portable rig.

jikkyboy11 said:
Wrong!

Your headphone are for the front port. Set your buffer lower. Try 128 for buffer size. That should work fine. Do NOT plug ur headphones in the back. They go in the headphone jack sitting right on the front. I have an MBox 2 Mini I use with my portable rig.

I was not dumb enough to insert headphones in the back except I HAD to try it out to find out if it was just my headphones or a hardware fault but it's neither...

How do you setup the hardware on Windows XP?

Im not sure if you found an answer to your question but i leave the monitor dial on the mbox to the middle of both. And more importantly when you select a track to record and also click on the " mute " button and you will no longer hear the slight delay. I hope that solves your problem.

oops i should clarify, when selecting your track to record on in pro tools you should also click on the yellow mute button as well and u will no longer hear the slight delay.

Last edited:
Ok this is all well and done - you click the mute on the track you are recording to, you turn the nob all the way to the left and the problem is solved!...NOW what do you do when you want to punch-in??? obviously you can't keep the track you are punching into on mute, and lowering the latency on the playback engine doesn't work (at least not for me) so...what is the solution because there is absolutely no way that one can seriously do a punch-in with that much reverb going on - it is not merely a delay as it is a reverb!

What do you do then? will getting a mixer work? the mixer will be routed through the Mbox2 mini, so wouldn't you run into the same problem? I mean Protools has a virtual mixer...so what?

What do you do???

I personally and anyone else that i know leaves the mix dial to the center so you can monitor and record at the same time. Also with the mbox mini i highly recommend the mackie vlz 1202, its a super quiet mixer and works well for features and you can probably find one for about $150, plus you will now have the option of more instruments.

I am referring to "punching in"...you can't do that when you are trying to do this task - at least I can't - I still hear that reverb.

Solution to delay on vocals when recording on mbox2

Ok folks, initially I was having th same problem on the mbox 2 with there being a delay in what I was actually singing and the what I heard through the headphones when recording using the mic input with ProTools LE 8.0.

Here are the steps;
1. Create a new mono audio track to record the vocals on in protools

2. make sure your mic is seurely plugged in to either the XLR or Quarter inch input on the back of the mbox2 - (input 1 or 2)

3. Let's assume you chose input 1.

4. Select the input button on the track you just created for vocals and from the dropdown menu choose input 1. This should be right above the pan knob. You are telling protools that your mic is plugged in to input 1.

5. Next...click the record button on the newly created vocal track.

6. Check to make sure your mic is working properly..test 1,2 test. Keep in mind that, at this point you should hear your voice, but it will have the delay and be heard in one side of your headphones.

7. Here is the secret...:bigeyes: Click on the output selector button on the vocal track

8.Once the dropdown menu populates...you will see two sections. One will be for channels 1 or 2. Right below that, hold you cursor over the BUS section.

9. Once this is done a complete list of the bus destinations should populate.

10. From this magical list... choose Headphones. What you are doing is routing the mic signal directly to the headphones, so as to bypass the cause of the delay. As long as the rest of your tracks are set with their outputs to 1-2, you will hear everything else along with your vocals.

11. Oh you say, well I still hear my voice in one side of the headphones. Hmmm

12. The magical button to press is located on the front panel of the mbox2.

13. Press down the MONO button and viola :sing: you can hear your voice in both sides of the headphones. What this button does is bypass the Left-Right architecture of the mic inputs on the rear panel and sets up a stereo field for the incoming mic signal.

14. VERY IMPORTANT: Everytime you have finished recording the vocals on that track and you want to hear it back against your other tracks....You will have to change the output selector back to 1-2, instead of busing it to the headphones. This places what you recorded back in to the mix for you to hear.

15. I know it is a bothersome task...But it beats throwing out the Mbox and buying something more expensive.

Back