DAWs that loop...

Spasm

So I'm looking at DAWs and can't decide which one to get. I've been using Reason and I'm trying out Ableton Live right now. Are there any other programs that have a similar system of playing loops (or Live calls them clips)? I am really looking for something similar to how Redrum/Matrix works with pattern lanes in Reason, or like how Live loops clips. I find myself modifying riffs and licks I've already written alot, and then I have to copy and paste the new modified parts everywhere else they appear in the song. At this rate, I'm going to get Live, but I want to look at all my options first.

Live is probably the best thing you're going to find.

I agree...for loop/pattern based sequencing, live is the best.

I've tried quite a few and found it to be the best coming from a hardware background, which i'm used to composing in loops/patterns.

but, just try the stuff out, you may find something you like better...

live was it for me tho.

I also use live but i think almost all DAW's have a system for this. I think Live and acid are the major beasts for using loop/clips type music. Acid gets slept on alot but I work with another producer that uses it and I use it at his place and its pretty quick on using and rearranging loops.

i cant say enough for live though I couldnt imagine not having it to compose with its the beast and another +! for it.

Well Acid is the old dog, the foundation on which Live built. Ableton just did it better and re-thought some things. What Acid's now, I don't really know - but it looks a lot like they're just trying to cram every feature possible in there, and not really knowing where to take it. It lacks focus.

What does this do with loops within Reason and Live? "Redrum/Matrix works with pattern lanes in Reason, or like how Live loops clips"

outside the █;48516360 said:
What does this do with loops within Reason and Live? "Redrum/Matrix works with pattern lanes in Reason, or like how Live loops clips"

Reason's Pattern Lanes are basically just automated pattern changes - you can build a bunch of patterns in the sequencers of those devices, then build your song simply by automating the changing of those patterns. It's a fairly flexible way of working, since you can still edit the patterns without having to copy the changes to every instance you've using during the song.

Live's clips & the Session View is a bit tougher to explain - more of a "see for yourself" thing :)

live is far from confusing, but I will admit it's different, someone just needs to show you the "flow" of it.

Once I saw how it was setup, because it's way different than anything else, it's actually very easy, and much easier for me to work with than any other software sequencer.

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here. I started on Live 6, then 7 and recently upgraded to Live 8. It was kind of confusing at first, but now I like it more everytime I use it.

I use it for the production, but there's a lot of possibilities with this thing... DJing, Remixing, Production, Using it on stage as a rack/soundbank...

I'd definitely dig as much in to it as you can. There's a good amount of videos available on youtube as well as Ableton's website. I still check them out from time to time.

Last edited:
Ableton Live is awesome and in the new Version 8 there is the Looper device which is great for people who are coming from hardware.

ONE

I thought ALL DAW's Loop. Any sequencer should have the capability to set loop points....right?

most loop yes, but many aren't "loop based" which we probably assumed the original poster was asking about.

loop based and being able to set loop regions isn't the same.

well, in my opinion at least...but that's all it is, an opinion lol.

Back