DAW's..

JayEmTea

Hey I was wondering what are some good DAW's to start out with dealing with Hip Hop. Also mabye ones to look at after i graduate from the first DAW. Like what would be your top 3 or top 5 DAW's?

Actually there isn't such a thing as the perfect DAW. You just try a couple of DAWs and see which you like the most.

I'm using FL Studio, though..

Try that, Cubase, Reason etc..

IMO look at FL Studio, Ableton Live and the Reason/Record combo. I think for starting out these sequencers are more "user-friendly" than say Cubase, Logic, etc..

Try all the demoes out for a month or so. Read reviews, watch videos on youtube. Then select one (or two, or hell all of them) and get to work.

ps what you on about graduating from your first DAW when you haven't even started making music yet?

There's no perfect DAW.. but there sure are DAWs that are perfect FOR you.

Everybody's going to recommend the one they use. I for instance have fully switched over to Presonus Studio One and could run off a list of reasons I think it's an amazing piece of software.

If you want "easy" and then "hard".. yes, do for FL, Ableton, and Reason first, then move to Cubase, Logic, PT, Sonar. Studio One is probably somewhere in the middle. I don't think you really want "easy" and then "hard" though. That's a waste of money. Just choose one upfront and stick with it if you like the workflow. They all have pretty much the same capabilities.

well pro tools is considerd the industry standard - and the new pt9 you dont need thier hard ware. so that would be a good move to have and learn it if your getting a new daw.

however
samplitude and nuendo is my main daws

then i have reason/with recycle ( i use it as a big rewire plug in) thats all.
its a big vst rack for me.

i do the same with fl- because all those sound kits i have and samples and the way you can load a bunch of plugs and eq on each channel -i use it as a rewire to set up my drums / samples and rewire that into nuendo or samplitude.
so i use it like a big mpc.
i dont have a mpc but with my pad kontrol and fpc/ or this new plug i got called pious (i think) it was 30 bucks i can do anything an mpc can do between fl and reason with recycle. and i have more memory with less money spent on an mpc.

if money is an issue get cubase or studio one.

please yall should get the samplitude demo...its insaine. you can do everything and master not just a track but a whole album. and the mixer is sweet.its easy to learn..
look it up on you tube

Last edited:
I found FL Studio to be confusing and hated the interface - haven't tried it in a while though.

Adobe Audition (do they still make that?) was cake for me b/c I spent so much time in Cool Edit. I didn't really like the direction they were going with it though. Haven't touched it for years - though I'm tempted to go find my old friend Peter Q b/c Audacity just isn't the editor I want...

Reason was...umm...logical. I hope they've added features to it since I last played with it. Back then, it didn't have midi output nor any way to record audio - but the sequencer just made sense to me. Flip the rack around and plug cables where they would go in the physical domain. It should be called Logic. If they had just basic DAW features back in the day (like being able to record audio), I likely would never have left it.

I played with Reaper for a few minutes (had an idea and didn't have Cubase on the PC I was at). Felt completely lost. Kinda like with FL Studio. I may revisit it later...but I wasn't feeling the interface at all.

See the above about Reaper - felt the same way in the few minutes I played with Garage Band. Was really sitting there like, "WTF?!?" I guess its not fair to judge as it was the first time I had used a Mac in years. I kept wanting to right click, but the MBP wasn't having it.

Cubase just worked for me the very first time I opened it. I didn't have to go through the help file looking for minor stuff - everything was right where I would put it if I programmed it. When I couldn't find something - and then checked the help file, it was like, "duh...that makes 100% sense". There are some things I'd change if possible, but I feel at home in Cubase. I wish I skipped the others and started in Cubase from the start..

While not a DAW - I think the sequencer in the MPC 1k (I'm using JJOS1) is pretty straight forward as well. I've played with the sequencer in the Korg Karma (same as the Triton I believe) and was not pleased when comparing it to the MPC. I can see why so many are so hard headed about giving up the MPC after using it.

My advice on DAW's, hmmm
First off to clear this out, it's not that theres no perfect DAW, the reality is that there isn't one that does it all...

So that being said, I kinda take from each one what I like and join forces.
Most of the times I like producing on Logic, then mixing and mastering on Pro Tools.
Sometimes I'll use Cubase, mostly for treating audio samples.
I rewire Reason sometimes too, and use Ableton Live every now and then.
So as you can see I use them all. But since its your first DAW, if you are a MAC user, definitely go with Logic, you'll get the most out of your money. Lots of sounds and instruments to play with and get familiar with the whole virtual workflow.....

Anyways peaaaaace hope I helped any more questions hit me up!!!

Last edited:
my advice on daw's, hmmm
first off to clear this out, it's not that theres no perfect daw, the reality is that there isn't one that does it all...

again this daw can do everything- at least everything you need . Magix samplitude pro! Free demo!!! Try it. And the next one is magix sequia.

fl studio is a good place to start, then reason-record. learn either of those, then if you feel you've outgrown them, then i say move on to the pro tools, logic, cubase, sonar, or what ever you feel suits your work flow best. do as much research as you can, because what works for tom,dick, and harry might not work for you! peace!

1. Sonar Producers Edition
2. Ableton Live
3. Reason + Record Combo (if you want to stick in that world without a lot of fuss)

As many have already said there is no perfect DAW. What works for you may not work for me. I would also advise against jumping around from DAW to DAW. Pick one learn it and go hard making music. I personally really like the Reason + Record combo.

Back