DAW vs Analog hardware?

I may catch hell for this but i don't see any up side to hardware instruments when compared to software. Software is cheaper. It can do everything a hardware instrument can do and more and you can have 50 different synths at your disposal and they will all fit in your laptop bag at the same time... I just thought of a pro for hardware: It makes for a more interesting and entertaining live experience... Software for the win!

This is a deep question especially since not all hardware synths are analog. Many hardware synths are digital and all workstations are digital. So when we talk analog synths its about sound and a hands on workflow vs a mouse and keyboard workflow. Midi controllers can do a lot to get rid of that mouse workflow but its still no where near as good as an analog synth in that respect. If we are talking digital hardware synths (nord leads, prophet 12, king korg, microkorgs, micron, viruses ect) then I hardly see the point of getting that hardware unless you only want the hands on aspect. So a better question is do you want an actual analog synth (like a mini brute) a digital synth (like a microkorg) or a soft synth (like massive) because they all have their pros and cons. At the end of the day good music can be made on whatever though. I've owned a bit of each and I prefer soft synths because they take up less space and require no kind of tracking.

My TB-303 works the same way it always has, it requires no drivers or updates in order to retain it's functionality, which is not something that can be said of software such as Propellerhead's ReBirth for example.

Back