Which DAW should you use?

kimmag

Hello! I'm new here, my name is Kim, and I come from Norway. I've been producing for around 5 years, and I've only been with FL studio. (I bought it some years ago.)

I've been discussing very much lately about which DAW you should choose. Many people says that "Fl studio sucks, its for noobs!" and "Pro tools owns the shit out of FL".
The discussion is non-ending, it lasts forever..

I'm starting to get pretty sick of FL's interface, and I feel that I want to try something new. I produce generally in the genre Hardstyle, hiphop beats, and film scores. Which DAW would you convert to?

I've heard that mostly the DAW's ain't any different from other things than the interface, but if there are any difference in sound quality and so on, please tell me.

So, Pro's and Cons about each DAW would be beautiful. (Cubase, Reason, Pro Tools, Logic, Fl.)

Whichever is the most comfortable for you. Try out a few demos. I personally prefer Reaper.

I've been using reason for couple years and it's great. One huge disadvantage is that it don't support vsti!
I tried reaper and meh I was disappointed liked reason interface much better.

honestly, it's all about SHORTCUTS, KEY-COMMANDS / HOT-KEYS and WORKFLOWS...

demo a few of the more popular ones to figure out which one "CLICKS" for you...that's the only way to really be sure...no way to side-step DEMOING apps...

I use reason because of the interface and my familiarity. I use Reaper for additional reaper. Ive tried FL, and Cubase, but they werent for me. But its really about what makes you comfortable. Stick with FL and add new elements with other programs. Like it was suggested up top, try some demos, Reason, Cubase, ProTools etc...Good Luck, keep rocking!

When it comes to Shortcuts and key commands Reaper is a clear winner as anything and EVERYTHING can be assigned to key commands. Even multiples clicks, going through menus and much more.

Reaper is a clear winner

i believe it...but Presonus Studio One Pro hasn't made me complain about ANYTHING...(EXCEPT TRANSIENT DETECTION)

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

like pro tools "tab to transient" feature...that was my favorite feature about pro tools...

the editing modes was ALSO a really handy feature...

I use FL and its great. It really does depend on the individual though. For example, F said he likes Studio one, when I tried it....lets just say I'm not a fan.

Yup different workflows for different people. All that matters is the end result.

@theOP, FL and Cubase are probably the main DAWS hardstyle producers tend to go for if theyre using windows otherwise logic is the mac alternative. like Obi id also suggest giving reaper a shot though since the demo is pretty much the full version apart from the licence, and i use it along with FL and love it as well. recording chopping and stretching vocals on it is so easy compared to FL.

Try the demos! I love FL studio, but i REALLY LOVE Sonar x1, I hate Ableton, and Acid, but I'm sure it's just your preferences and what you like when you decide :)

I think people still think of only Reason as a rack of instruments. There was a time when that was more or less true. But these days, every DAW is a rack of instruments even if they aren't laid out like a virtual rack in a studio. Logic was a rack of instruments before Reason if I remember correctly. But these days we have Cubase, Live and even Pro Tools which come complete with enough stuff included to make music right out of the box.

As to which DAW to choose, it's an impossible question. I'm seriously a Steinberg fan, but I can't possibly advise anyone to buy something without first trying it out, or buy a freakin dongle just to try it out. The policy is ridiculous, but that's how Steinberg gets down. But since I was down with Steiney from before 2000, I already know that I like how they do things. It's weird. The kind of stuff that I openly complain about is exactly what they do. I love to complain how soft samplers aren't able to expand and resize their windows to whatever size I want even thought they are software. There's no reason for the limitation but most samplers are limited in that way. Along comes Halion 4 which makes a big deal of announcing that it does exactly that! Windows can be undocked from the "rack" and resized to any size. Why scroll and mouse all around Kontakt-style when you can have a large window to work in. That's why I like Steinberg. This logical way of thinking is all through their offerings, including Cubase...but the dongled demo mess is unforgivable.

I constantly see tons of thread about errors with Pro Tools and I hear the MIDI is weaker on that DAW compared to others. I wouldn't use PT unless I needed to synchronize to SMPTE time code.

I used to use Cubase and it was pretty good. I had troubles with Reaper crashing. That's my two cents of advice. I use Energy XT and MultitrackStudio Pro Plus. MultitrackStudio is really good except for one tragic flaw: No plugin delay compensation. Other than that, it's pretty great. Energy XT is good but it doesn't have multicore support so you run out of CPU power very quickly on it.

Last edited:
Back