DAW reviews....???

Chew_Bear

So right now...I am demo-ing Ableton Live 9 and FL Studio 11. My reviews/takes....

FL Studio 11: 3 going on 4 days of demo.

Pros:
1. Built in instruments/sounds are good.

Cons:
1. IMOH...the GUI sucks. The font I don't like. The colors I don't like. It basically looks like a "TOY" to me. Kind of "amateurish" looking to be honest. Like it was made for "kids" and not for "PROSUMER" use. That might work for some peeps but definitely not me.
2. GUI is too BUSY looking. Too many windows, screens and things everywhere trying to grab my attention. Don't like the Busy-ness look.
3. Some people say the workflow is easy and simple for a beginner. But I found the workflow to be quite cumbersome and complicated because of the busy look and hidden instruments, sounds and tools. I felt like I was always on a search for something.
4. Not that many video tutorials on Youtube for FL Studio vs Other DAW's. (At least in my experience).

Ableton LIVE 9: 2 going on 3 days of practice.

Pros:
1. Session View is SICK. Getting ideas/patterns down is so SICK and not to mention being able to switch/combine them in so many ways makes it so easy to come up with some new ideas & sounds.
2. Workflow is so simple and easy for me to grasp and follow. I understand where everything is and what I need to do next, after next, after next and so on.
3. The GUI is so much more simpler and "easy" on the eyes. I LOVE looking at Ableton vs FL Studio. Looks 'prosumer' to me. The Fonts, Colors and lines are so much more appealing.
4. There are a TON of Youtube videos for Ableton. Seems like everytime I go to Youtube to research Music Production...An ableton video is always there.
5. The sound design capabilities for Ableton seem endless to me. Seems like I can tweak, edit, change and morph any sound/sample I have with so many tools, parameters and instruments inside Ableton.
6. Ableton Drum Rack is SICK. Being able to audition and choose your drum kit like in a MPC style is so intuitive and creative.

Cons:
1. Linear/Arrangement view is not as PRO looking or feature packed as all other traditional Linear DAWs.
2. Not that many built in instruments and therefore sounds.
3. Seems somewhat limited at times when you already have a plan/idea in your head and are not in a "creative" mind set.
4. The Piano Roll needs work. Not as Pro looking or feature packed as other Traditional DAWs.

Conclusion:
As you can see. FL Studio is definitely NOT for me. It might be a good DAW for some other people...BUT the GUI and some of the windows and parameters I can not get used to.

Ableton is TOPS for me right now.

My BEST Analogies:

FL Studio is like a Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. Whereas Ableton is like a BMW, Mercedes Benz or Mini Copper.

FL Studio is like a McDonalds, Burger King and Wendys. Whereas Ableton seems more 'mom & pop'...(insert your local/fav. cafe/eatery/bistro/gastropub here).

FL Studio is like a Starbucks. Whereas Ableton is like that special coffee shop you drive 20-30 miles out of your way 1 day a week to get an espresso at.

FL Studio is like those import models you see at car shows with too much make-up and just there for nothing. Whereas Ableton is like that HOT girl you see at your local bar, grocery store or restaurant for the 1st time and you know you are "NEVER" going to see her again. (She could be wearing no make-up...or...little make-up). Haha.

Hope this helps someone out! Haha lol.

A lot of peeps in here are Reason and FL Studio I presume.

Just take my review with a grain of salt. Its mainly amusement. Im pretty sure FL Studio is more than capable of alot of stuff but as I don't have a lot of time...FL studio seems like its hindering and pulling me back from progression whereas Ableton has definitely sped me up and I feel like progressing and making music.

Ableton FTW!!!

Last edited:
You're reviewing these things after what, 3 days? How many hours a day have you spent looking at these?

In order to give a proper review you'd need to use both for 3 months.

FL studio do suck tho... i only use it for chopping sample and sound developing ...can't believe i spent years to learn that program so they can switch to 12 smfh #NOBLOCKS

I've used Reason, FL, ProTools (Even though this one is more considered to be for recording, mixing and mastering), Logic and Ableton Live... to me the easiest most straightforward is Ableton Live

Back