DAW help!

The KiiiD

So i am really into learning how to produce music and i went out and bought a NI maschine to play around with. Im learning more about it day by day. I was just wonder what DAW you guys prefer so i can start recording some beats. And what beginner midi keyboards any of you suggest!

For a DAW, I'd recommend Ableton, so far the easiest to learn and to produce, Cubase is too professional, Sonar's GUI is too messy, FL studio is too much loop-based, Reaper is cheap and good but harder to learn, Reason and Logic I haven't tried yet so can't tell about.
Or, if you are more outside the box you can try Renoise as well, but beware, it's very different from any of these (it's a tracker) but you can definitely produce anything with that, just you have to learn twice, once the patterns and next the piano roll and those two things doesn't exactly work together ;) for me personally the Renoise way of composing suits much better than traditional one :P
Definitely download demos and give every a try at least a few hours.
For the MIDI keyboard, you should specify the price, and also tell how do you imagine a "beginner" keyboard, as most keyboards out there have pretty much the same parameters (ModWheel, Pitchwheel, Sustain...). General advice can still be given: a 49-key one is the standart and I wouldn't go below that. From my experience, the 25-keys are way too little and kill the creativity...

Thanks for the advice! i'm going to play around with some demos to see what fits me but yeah ive been looking into Ableton and i must say it seems pretty impressive. As far as the keyboard situation i can put that on hold so i can just do more research into a DAW.

i prefer logic pro as my DAW even though i also have ableton 8...it is an easy DAW to learn and understand...especially if you've used garage band before...

it really depends though on your budget and how much you're willing to spend...what are your goals as far as producing is concerned?

Last edited:
Go cheap. Reaper is $60, and has all the audio power you need for mixing your Maschine files.
Samplitude Silver is free, and Podium has a free version.
These are worth looking at too.
You might even check out Tracktion 4 while your at it.
I always thought it was super easy to work with audio in Tracktion.

If your on mac I say go Reaper without question as Podium, and Samplitude are windows only, and Tracktion had some issues on macs FWIR.

Last edited:
Back