Daw Of The Future

It's a well lamented fact that FL Studio is popular with those who need to compose in the piano roll and thieves form a significant part of that demographic because they can't download a cracked copy of a hardware controller to enter notes more efficiently.......the piano roll in other DAWs is geared towards editing the notes you play in with a controller whereas FL Studio's piano roll is geared towards mouse based composition.

You, my kind sir, speak the truth: I tried Ableton, Reason and FL Studio when I first started, and what dragged me towards FL Studio is the capability of composing using just my mouse (as I don't use a midi controller...yet). The piano Roll inside FL gave me the best respose.

I have no loyalty to any DAW, but I don't jump to the next new thing either. I'll continue to work my magic with what I've been working with. My MPC2000XL is now in the passenger seat and Maschine Mk2 is driving, but there was no way I was going to get rid of my 2000XL to get the 4000. I don't like having to learn new hardware or software for minimal gain. I had friends that would run to the next new thing all the time, and their productivity and pockets suffered because of it. By the time they really learned a peice of gear the upgraded version comes out, and now they're starting over again. Until something completely amazing comes out, I'll stick to working in Maschine software and Reason 7 and mixing in Pro-Tools DAW wise. I just don't like Fruity Loops, and I actually paid for it. My daughters (14 & 13) love it

LOL.......this kid is just looking for attention.
Pro tools being obsolete and going under when the main reason people use FL is because it's the
easiest cracked.Cats always talk about how dope FL is but 99% of them haven't even paid for it.
I can see Studio1 getting more business but Pro tools won't go anywhere anytime soon.
But anyway,this thread is useless,people are going to use what they like and trying to talk them
out of it won't work.

Now to the OP,let's hear some music.

Peace

You, my kind sir, speak the truth: I tried Ableton, Reason and FL Studio when I first started, and what dragged me towards FL Studio is the capability of composing using just my mouse (as I don't use a midi controller...yet). The piano Roll inside FL gave me the best respose.

But, isn't that a good thing? A program that makes things...easy?

FL's piano roll is frowned upon by so many, but it's a great tool. And the 1st time I ever opened FL(3.56) I already had an MPC 2000XL, Yamaha DJX 2, Triton Rack, Ozone keyboard controller, Cakewalk Homestudio, and tons of hardware. My son was about to be born and the room that was once a studio was gonna become his nursery so I had to downsize to a corner of the garage.

Music Creator was cool for multitracking, but after being introduced to FL, I realized there was an entire world of production through software that was EASIER. While trying any piece of software since FL, none could compare to it's ease of use while performing professional functions like note panning, the piano roll, even the way you set up a vst instrument with 2 clicks and not type of additional midi channels was lightyears ahead of other programs for a long time. Tons of other stuff programs are just now catching up to. Stuff like the functionality of the step sequencer still hasn't been tackled. Just like any other program, it has it's flaws, but lets not pretend ALL music programs aren't with their share of shortcomings.

I just find it odd that FL get's ridiculed for making things easy. Then dudes jump into a program like Ableton and make a repetitive 4/4 drum pattern that doesn't switch up in any way thru an entire song, but feel like since they did more to make that pattern they can frown on the guy in FL with a well arranged SONG. Not directed at anyone, just an observation that holds true from what I've heard come out of Ableton. In the right hands, any program is sufficient, but that's the point of my rant.

I give 2 f**ks anyway, i use Reason...after I tweaked a template so I can start programs similar to how I would in FL, go figure.

But, isn't that a good thing? A program that makes things...easy?

FL's piano roll is frowned upon by so many, but it's a great tool. And the 1st time I ever opened FL(3.56) I already had an MPC 2000XL, Yamaha DJX 2, Triton Rack, Ozone keyboard controller, Cakewalk Homestudio, and tons of hardware. My son was about to be born and the room that was once a studio was gonna become his nursery so I had to downsize to a corner of the garage.

Music Creator was cool for multitracking, but after being introduced to FL, I realized there was an entire world of production through software that was EASIER. While trying any piece of software since FL, none could compare to it's ease of use while performing professional functions like note panning, the piano roll, even the way you set up a vst instrument with 2 clicks and not type of additional midi channels was lightyears ahead of other programs for a long time. Tons of other stuff programs are just now catching up to. Stuff like the functionality of the step sequencer still hasn't been tackled. Just like any other program, it has it's flaws, but lets not pretend ALL music programs aren't with their share of shortcomings.

I just find it odd that FL get's ridiculed for making things easy. Then dudes jump into a program like Ableton and make a repetitive 4/4 drum pattern that doesn't switch up in any way thru an entire song, but feel like since they did more to make that pattern they can frown on the guy in FL with a well arranged SONG. Not directed at anyone, just an observation that holds true from what I've heard come out of Ableton. In the right hands, any program is sufficient, but that's the point of my rant.

I give 2 f**ks anyway, i use Reason...after I tweaked a template so I can start programs similar to how I would in FL, go figure.

In my own opinion, Ableton seems even easier than FL Studio. I guess it's because of my workflow though. Plus I can use my Maschine Studio to control Ableton, which is insane. And Maschine software itself works so well with Ableton. That's the main reason I'm sticking with it really. I really like the simple GUI that Ableton has also. If you already know a lot about music and the terms and what not then it's really easy to deal with.

I use fl studio to do every thing.I like studio one also but I can get things done faster In FL. I think that a lot of people that try it don't really know all that it can do and really don't tap into all it's possibilities.

FL Studio is great, I grew up playing the drums so I never actually learned to properly play the piano. However, Because of FL Studio, I purchased an Axiom 25 Midi controller and I'm actually learning a bit about the piano. Sure, it makes things easy, but it also makes it fun. And for the people who play other instruments but can't play piano, it really makes producing music much easier. I can take an idea in my head and put it on the piano roll quickly and efficiently, making whats in my head come to life.

There's a plus and a downside to FL studio, personally I love it.

I'm loving Studio One v3. Some great new features and has a super clean interface so very easy to find everything. Keen to see what they have in store in the future

Last edited:
Back