Daw Of The Future

Good Point but if Presonus keeps advancing the software at the same tempo it has been going, it will be one of the four DAWs that will be the focus of the industry.
FL Studio was never a great piece of software for making soundtracks. Studio One is headed that way and since Protools is over priced and has been de-listed from the US stock market at my last glancing, others will supplant it as being number one.
Protools has only one thing going for it that being its foot hold in the music and film business. Aside from that two of the DAWs out there have already past its usefulness.
I think Presonus is going to share the lead with just a few others.

Proppellerhead was also started by a Cubase guy, in fact the early Props products were distributed by Steinberg and the partnership is where ReWire came from....Steinberg even had a technology sharing arrangement with Emagic (the guys who made Logic) at one point, Steinberg also sold a program called Remix which was in fact a licensed version of Ableton Live.

This thread would've been much easier to decipher if things like punctuation and rules of grammar had been observed. It's very hard to take someone seriously when they can't write a simple sentence. Just saying....

FL studio runs on ipad on your iPhone on your Android phone so what are you talking about FL Studio is the new industry standard pro Tools is gone in music production it's just mixing we don't have to address that , Ableton is gone already bitwig killed it.

Ha. Ableton is not gone because of Bitwig. I promise you that. Although it's very similar, Bitwig doesn't have half the features that Ableton does. I mean the whole modulation thing is cool but it's not going to affect Anleton at all. I've been trying the Bitwig demo and I can't stand the UI. Bitwig might get better one day but for now it doesn't compare to Ableton when it comes to sound quality, effects, ease of use, etc.

There's a lot of competition in the market, some programs do things better and other things not as good as others. You can make quality with anything. The competition is good for the DAW market because it pushes the other companies to keep up with whats new. In a studio setting (mixing, recording, etc...) I just don't see anything replacing Pro Tools overall. Some studios maybe but it will always be the industry standard just because it always has been (In recent times). It might not necessarily be the best, but it will never go away, until something drastically changes the way we record music.

As far as production/beatmaking/composing goes, Pro Tools was never really the industry standard for that anyway, nothing was ever really industry standard. As technology has gotten better beatmaking tools have come and gone. From SP12s, MPC's, Tritons, Motifs, Reason, Logic, FL whatever, something gets old and something new takes its place. As is the way with all technology. FL is a trend right now, just like the MPC2000xl was, or any other legacy gear at its time. Software programs futures are brighter because its probably easier to keep up with tech from a software standpoint rather than a hardware unit.

But there will always be new companies entering the mix, with something newer, better, etc... and all it takes is one producer to get a song on the radio with it and other producers will jump right on it. In the end these are all tools, and none of these programs are going to be around for ever. So use what you want, and let others use what they want, because its not hurting you. It's cool to be loyal to a brand and support their software, but there is no need to be a fanboy.

There's a lot of competition in the market, some programs do things better and other things not as good as others. You can make quality with anything. The competition is good for the DAW market because it pushes the other companies to keep up with whats new. In a studio setting (mixing, recording, etc...) I just don't see anything replacing Pro Tools overall. Some studios maybe but it will always be the industry standard just because it always has been (In recent times). It might not necessarily be the best, but it will never go away, until something drastically changes the way we record music.

As far as production/beatmaking/composing goes, Pro Tools was never really the industry standard for that anyway, nothing was ever really industry standard. As technology has gotten better beatmaking tools have come and gone. From SP12s, MPC's, Tritons, Motifs, Reason, Logic, FL whatever, something gets old and something new takes its place. As is the way with all technology. FL is a trend right now, just like the MPC2000xl was, or any other legacy gear at its time. Software programs futures are brighter because its probably easier to keep up with tech from a software standpoint rather than a hardware unit.

But there will always be new companies entering the mix, with something newer, better, etc... and all it takes is one producer to get a song on the radio with it and other producers will jump right on it. In the end these are all tools, and none of these programs are going to be around for ever. So use what you want, and let others use what they want, because its not hurting you. It's cool to be loyal to a brand and support their software, but there is no need to be a fanboy.

Pro Tools is over what part of that don't you understand it's late for Avid and once Pro Tools is gone the decline of Waves starts, it's a clutch for engineers.. it has to go................................................................................................................................. useless!!

Last edited:
What exactly is your point? We get it, you adore FL. Good for you, but so what? I don't see any large or small studios un-installing PT from their computers. Seems as if you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. No one said you can't use FL any more bro, so just chill.

I don't think being the most-used DAW necessarily equates to it being the "DAW of the future" or the "best" software available. Budweiser and Coors are the most popular beers, and they taste like garbage water. Any real beer drinker knows this. Get what I'm trying to say?

This argument would have been better 10-15 years ago, when ProTools was the height, and home-recording gear and software was just starting to get accessible to the masses. THEN, you could say, "Watch this FL.. it's affordable and easy to use, so the kids are gonna start using it."

Now that there are superior-quality products still being made (I don't care if Studio One ripped off Jesus.. It's a solid DAW), and more and more DAWs reaching affordable price-points, I don't think FL can continue the same growth for much longer.

I know what the numbers say now, but we're talking about the future, right? ProTools enjoyed these same numbers once, and in the same argument, you claim it's over. By this logic, FL will be over soon enough, too.

Would anyone argue that FL is the DAW most cracked by kids? It's easy for something to be popular when it's basically free.

Boo-hoo. You've hurt my feelings. LOL! Kids can't crack Cubase and Pro Tools because of the I-LOK system. But I suspect you two fanboys already know that, so what's your point? I'd like to see a valid license for FL installed on your computer! LOL! Don't get mad at others because you don't have the money to purchase Pro Tools or Cubase! LOL! Quit being fanboys and grow up. And while you're doing so, please read my earlier post about writing. LOL!

Last edited:
Really? This? I knew it was coming, was kinda interested until i saw the actual GUI. No one should ever mention this program again. Just get a new skin for Ableton Live, and you have Bitwig Studio.

I downloaded the demo, spent about an hour figuring out how to use it, got bored of it and returned to my trusted Ableton. There are some features that are quite desirable but not in its current state.

It's a well lamented fact that FL Studio is popular with those who need to compose in the piano roll and thieves form a significant part of that demographic because they can't download a cracked copy of a hardware controller to enter notes more efficiently.......the piano roll in other DAWs is geared towards editing the notes you play in with a controller whereas FL Studio's piano roll is geared towards mouse based composition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back