Cubase SX and LOOPING

jsalmont

Looping tools I've come accross that have acid style looping (timestretch without changing pitch).

Phatmatic Pro
Ableton Live
NI Kontakt
Recycle

What are the pros and cons of each?
What do y'all use?
Is there a magic combination?

I currently use SX, Kontakt and Sound Forge. I mentioned in a previous thread that I have io problems with sx and sf (can't have both loaded running asio, only directsound). Frankly, this doesn't strike me as a sexy combo.

This kills me cause it's the last hurdle I have to jump to get to the green pastures pro audio utopia!

Almost mobilized,
.:pl

jsalmont said:
What do y'all use?
Kontakt, Recycle and Cubase SX

Recycle is an offline editing tool for slicing loops, strictly speaking it doesn't do timestretching, but adds a small portion to the decay part of each individual beat so that the 'empty spaces' get filled when you lower the tempo. It's no good for non-percussive loops.

Phatmatik does the same, but in realtime, as a VST plugin.

Ableton is a complete audio sequencer, like acid or the audio tracks of cubase. It's very good for live use.

SX itself has a very good timestretch, it's not realtime, but since all audio processing in SX is non-destructive, you can change the stretch factor very easily if you decide to alter the tempo; and for looping Kontakt does a great job.

Back