Cubase SX - how improved?

Bongo Fiend

Hi all,

I am a regular Cubase user on the PC, and I'm thinking about upgrading from VST to SX.

There are lots of little annoyances I had with VST, so I'd be grateful for the opinions of anyone else who has made the upgrade.

Could you let me know if SX rectifies any of the following problems:

(1) VST's "snap to zero" was hopeless. Even with it enabled, and ensuring that none of my audio parts overlap, you can still hear audible clicks and pops at the start/end of samples.

(2) VST's user interface is very un-responsive. You know, you move the scale slider at the bottom of the arrangement window, and it takes half a second for the screen to update. Or you click on a sample in the audio pool, and it takes nearly a second for it to become selected. Infuriating! And it's nothing to do with my PC being crap. The interface is just as slow since I installed VST on my brand spanking new lightning-fast PC! I've used too many applications where everything happens *instantly* to put up with this sort of mediocrity. C'mon this is the 21st century.

(3) Random playblack glitches. E.g. you stop the song, but half a second later you hear another brief snippet before it *really* stops. Oops! Sometimes when you press play, it takes several seconds before it really starts playing, or sometimes not at all!

(4) Differences between normal playback and mixdown. I have tried different latency settings. But no matter what I do, the timing of effect automation is always subtley different when I mixdown the track. E.g. I automate the cutoff of a filter plug-in. Tweak it so that it peaks at the exact end of a bar. Playback ... it peaks a quaver too early! Mixdown ... it sounds fine!

(5) VST crashes a lot. Yes I've tried lots of different versions of it; no I haven't pirated it; yes I have a very good PC setup; no I don't have problems with any other applications, audio or otherwise; and yes it still crashes without any third-party plug-ins installed. I've never rated Cubase in the reliability stakes.

I'm not really interested in hearing "yeah SX is brilliant, no problems here!" There are four billion websites claiming that the sun shines out of Steinberg's posterior. Little consolation for me - because I know for sure it doesn't.

However responses of the form "yes I had the same problem with VST, but it's fixed in SX" would be highly welcome!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
I never used VST, but in answer to your questions:

1) I dont know

2) The interface is fine in SX

3) No playback glitches etc.

4) Havent found that in SX

5) Hasnt crashed once!

lurk.gif

in general, audio editing is greatly improved in sx: anything from offline non-destructive processing, to drawing amplitude envelopes directly on samples (you could do that already in vst, but it's way easier in sx). I don't know whetther an upgrade will solve *all* your problems :), but sx IS a big improvement to vst, both for it's added features and ease of use.

(1) I have encountered clicks at the end of sliced samples both in vst and sx, but this is easily overcome by drawing a short decay at the end of the slice.

(4) I have had something similar one or two times in vst; haven't come across it *yet* in sx.

(5) crashes: had a lot of those in vst, never in sx, BUT that's mainly because I ran vst on a w98 machine, I've since switched to the much stabler w2k.

Back