Cubase SX: How do you route VST synths to standard audio tracks?

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
I am trying to record my VST devices (namely, Kontakt + some effects) into a standard Stereo Audio Track. I can locate Kontakt's audio track in the mixer, but I don't see it on my timeline... How do I enable audio record as I usually do with my external audio ports?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Hey Mano,

don't think you can actually 'record' them, what you do with VSTi's is use the 'export audio mixdown' command (File menu). This writes to disk a mixdown of all unmuted internal audio sources (wav files on audio tracks and VSTi's) between locators. In the dialog that appears you can specify filename, mono or stereo output, resolution/sample rate, whether effects should be included, and whether an audio track should be created in the current project with the new file on it. If the effects include delays or reverb, make sure to set the right locator a bit further to include the full effect, mute all sources you don't want to include, and check if there's no clipping in the mixer.

Thanks for posting tripton!

mmhhh, ok so then I re-import the WAV file back inside my project to be able to mute these CPU-hungry VST synths - and I do this for each, right?

You don't have to import them back manually if you have 'import to pool & audio track' switched on (in the export dialog).
If you want to have a wav file for each instrument (for further mixing), you'll have to export them one at the time (by soloing their audio & midi channel in the track mixer).
What you're left with is actually not a recording, but a digitally perfect rendering of the vsti (meaning for example that even if your instrument is so cpu hungry that its playback creates the occasional glitch, your mixdown will still be glitch free).

Last edited:
thanks for your input guys.

I found out I wasnt able to use the mixdown feature because I work in Pulsar XTC mode, and that I need to do some routing tweaks before I can capture VSTs.

Take care!

Who knows one day I may put some of my music online after all ;)

Actually, I am now able to mixdown, for some reason I had to reboot, and baoum its working now :D

ahh.. btw I found out that you can also route the VST devices to the MERGE output (always the last one in your VST outputs list) and then simply add a new audio track with this last source routed to it.... and then record like any audio source

... but mixdown is cleaner. Still its good ot know for the days when Mixdown is not happy

;)

Mano, I have had a look in the VST outputs window and can only see the 4 busses. Im a bit confused where this MERGE output option is, could you explain a bit more. Cheers.

it should be there.. Are you using ASIO2? I think (but not sure) its part of it.

There is a mention of this in the manual somewhere, I got it from another site where a guy quoted the manual straight. However I couldnt find it myself in there.

It works great, when mixdown fails

I did a search on 'merge' in the operation manual, but couldn't find anything on a 'merge output'; the VST outputs list only contains the soundcard's outputs (Delta-44 in my case). So maybe this 'merge' function is a feature specific to Mano's Pulsar card?

Back