Cubase Problem...(midi playback)

P

PJX

Okay...so I've been sequencing with Reason, and it wasn't doing quite everything I wanted, especially with respect to lack of VSTi support, so I decided to move to the more intimidating, but also more functional Cubase.

So I installed it, and i recorded a little bassline with my controller through one of the included VST synths, and when i tried to play it back, it didn't play...anyways...i fiddled with it for a while and it still wouldn't play...I even tried other VSTs, went and bought one of the computer music magazines that came with a free vst and that wouldn't work. So then, I tried exporting the sequence to a wav file, and that worked perfectly...which brought me to the realization that the little volume meter beside the track name and info in the second column from the left was lighting like it would if it was playing.

All the other audio stuff works, I can monitor midi fine.

-James

So if I get it right, you can:

- monitor and record midi data
- see the volume meters on the midi track move, indicating midi playback
- export an audio mixdown which contains audio from the VST instrument as intended

but you can't actually hear the VSTi when hitting play.

weird....

just to be sure:

- do you have the right midi output + channel selected for that track?
- do you see the volume meters move in the AUDIO channel belonging to the VSTi in the track mixer?
- are you sure neither the midi track or corresponding audio channel are muted?

For the output for that track, I set it to the VSTi...If i set it to anything else, it plays through that(notably though, my audigy soundfont emulated physical midi works fine)

No though, in the audio track (the one with the eqs above it) in the track mixer there is no movement on the VU.

Thanks,
-James

Wish I could help you out.... what I can't understand is that the export audio mixdown seems to be working, in that case the more obvious causes like the audio channel being muted or the VSTi not being on can be ruled out.

Are you using the Audigy's ASIO drivers? Can you playback audio (wav files) placed on one of the audio tracks?

yah, i mean...everything works fine except VSTis.....which is ironic because i moved to cubase for VSTi support...oh well...such is life i guess, maybe ill call up steinberg and sit on hold for a few hours and they'll be able to help...maybe someone else on this board will know....

thanks for your help man

-James
if you think of something my ICQ is 94500455 and my email is james@turnitup.ca

Back