Cubase/MPC5000 Setup :: Possible?

Rocky Roller

(it says I cant post links yet so... heres how to get to the video)

youtube.com --> Search :: Open Labs and AKAI MPC Overview

I pretty much wanna be able to do this exact same thing with cubase... (5 more specificly)

Heres how I wanna be able to have my setup...

Neko (comming soon) as PC/Host
Cubase 5 as Sound Module/Tracker/Arranger
MPC5000 as Sequencer/Drum Programmer

In other words use Cubase as my sound module and mpc to sequence and program drums and then track it back into cubase as audio for arranging and basic mixing

So... would it be possible to pretty much use the same setup in the video above with cubase 5 instead of reaper?

thx alot... Rocky R.

Yes but why...

If you need the MPC's timing \ transport just set it up as the clock master, midi trigger, and transport... Then you can have Cubase capture the timing, performance, midi, audio, etc...

The why you want to do it adds an unnecessary step, dumping the MPC tracks after the fact...

hmmm, never thought about doing it that way. So... let me understand this. I would pretty much just be skipping the tracking stage all together... using the mpc transports and timing but everything would be being saved in cubase.

Yeah i defiently think ill give this setup a try also... i kinda think the other way would still give me that old school feeling tho which is what im used to and kinda wanna keep that same feel so ill give them both a try to see what feels more comfortable to me workflow wise. thanks alot for the help man...

Dirty Mike, do you mean just syncing the MPC and Cubase to do "Live Tracking"?? Please elaborate with some examples, I'm interested, I have a MPC 2kXL.

Im thinking you mean:

1) Recording a keyboard performance using the MP as the transport master, then using a synced cubase to record the midi notes.

2) Come back and record the audio from the MP in song mode

3) all while usiong cubase as the vst host as well?

If I missed something or am wrong please fill me in, thanks

outside the █;48534680 said:
Please elaborate with some examples, I'm interested, I have a MPC 2kXL.

Let me try:

.Setup all you plug-in tracks for midi in from mpc
.Open a few audio in track for MPC audio
.Do your sequencing in the MPC sending midi and audio to Cubase.

When the song is finished record your performance (midi and audio) in Cubase running everything from the MPC...

Yep, thats what Ive configured... Thanks alot for the reply DMike, I wanted to make sure I was making the most of my setup. The one thing I think I don't take advantage of when recording to Cubase is the Song mode that should be prepared in the MPC. Plus I only have stereo outs in my soundcard, I could use a 8+ audio outputs soundcard (I do have the 8ins on the MPC). Thanks Mike

Let me try:

.Setup all you plug-in tracks for midi in from mpc
.Open a few audio in track for MPC audio
.Do your sequencing in the MPC sending midi and audio to Cubase.

When the song is finished record your performance (midi and audio) in Cubase running everything from the MPC...

Yea thats pretty much exactly rite... how many audio tracks would i need to open though? one for each track right?

Back