Cubase Interface Crash

--SYNTH--

Everytime I "load" any vst plugin (especially the Native Instruments one) in cubase sx 1.02 the interface seems to be very strange (so strange that I can't work anymore)...Why this problem hapens?? What Can I do to solve this prob??

ps: I have a Pentium 4 1.6 ghz 512 mb and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard running in Windows 98

Me thinks that SX is supposed to run on 2000 or XP, not 98 or NT etc.

Definitely a Win98 + SX + Native Instruments problem.

NI plugins are becoming notorious for their poor VST support.

SX can run quite well on Win98. In my experience... but the moment you throw in NI plugins with their weird standalone, hybrid architectures you start getting all kinds of weird memory leaks, interfaces vanishing.... etc. Nuendo can also suffer from this occasionally.

If you're planning on using NI extensively on Win98, Cubase VST 5.1 is probably the most solid sollution. It doesn't have the same automation power, and its not so nice and shiny and intuitive.... but it gets the job done.

Btw

Most of the NI softsynth parameters aren't exposed to the Cubase SX automations anyway, especially in synths like Absynth... so you're not missing out on any critical features by using 5.1 anyway.

on the other hand, why not upgrade to w2k or XP??
it's definitely the best choice for audio in general.

Last edited:
I've heard of guys having problems with Absynth + SX on other platforms too... with NI in general there's no guarantee that everything will work if you upgrade one part of your studio though.

There's a new update available for Absynth (Mac and PC).

V1.33 (Last one was V1.32).

Apparantly it fixes Cubase SX crashes, (As well as Sonar if I remember correctly)... and fixes issues to do with sample-rate switching.... and a few other little things

I Will try it out tonight and report back on monday, but give it a try.

www.native-instruments.com

Back