Cubase & external midi devices

P

PHILFINITY

Hey I have a copy of Cubase VST 5.0 I am a newbe and I am trying to get all my external units sequenced by my Cubase.

I have a USB MOTU micro express and i have 5 midi cables going out:

Ch. 2 - Korg Karma
Ch. 3 - Nord Lead 3
Ch. 4 - Virus C
Ch. 5 - Sampler input A
Ch. 6 - Sampler input B

My MOTO is proporly hooked up but I am not sure if my program is configured to see it. Also how do I get the units to record the midi info into the program? Please help!

Phil

i guess Karma is the controller, so to be able to record MIDI into cubase i'd plug the in/out of Karma to the in/out of the soundcard, then the thru of the Karma to the rest of the MIDI chain
And be sure the MIDI is being transmitted on the right channel for those that are plugged in Thru (channel transmitter same as channel receiver)
In cubase when you select a midi channel, check if the port is right and that's it! your midi will go through the chain and the synths will respond

no i havent gotten board yet. ok you said plug the midi into the sound card. I dont have one. I was under the impression this the motu micro express acts as an interface that can talk to my computer. am i wrong? like I said I am new to this as far as getting all these machines synced up and running off a sequencer.

I have the nord controling the virus and the karma conroling the emu. I have everything running off the karmas clock. Midi is a pain! Is there a way I can get cubase to recognize the midi insturments that are pluge into the motu via the usb that conects the motu to the comp? I am able to use the midi mapping program that motu came with and used it to get everything synced to the karma. How do i get my devices into cubase?

I have a feeling this may take a while. thanks for the info thus far

btw not sure if it was clear but every unit has its own midi cable running in, out from the motu. the only ones that have an out are the nord and the karma and are controlling the virus and sampler respectively... later man

what do u mean by getting your devices into cubase ? if they are connected via the MOTU intrface which is recognized by your system, then you can use cubase to play MIDI on them.. i did realy get your question :o)

Ok yea. I should be able to just use cubase to sequence my insturments in a time line then. How do I do this? Like how do I record the midi information into cubase?

For instance.

lets say I want my virus to play a bass line on midi chanel 1 and a lead on midi chanel 2. Then have the korg playing some drum sounds on what ever chanels they may be on. I should have some sort of different track for each of these events (or parts) right? if so how do I set that up? Do i just hit play record and start rockin out? I dont seem to be able to make any headway. Thanks man, phil

Back