Cubase or Ableton?

DripsRMX

Alright, so I was looking to get the lexicon alpha interface to work with ableton live once I buy it. but I noticed that it comes with cubase le and was wondering if cubase would be good for making beats. I have been using ableton's demo and really like it, but its another $150 that coulld be spent on other things if cubase will work.

It really depends on what kinda workflow you prefer, and what your style is.

Answer: Both will do the job. Many artists use both and do well. They each have their little gems, but both DAWs will have everything necessary for making beats.

Now for the biased part;
ABLETON LIVE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. The user interface is flawless, and the way it is set up really allows the creative process to shine. Downright fun. I produced an entire album with Ableton (Suite), a few VSTs and one Axiom 25 Key MIDI controller. No complaints. There are so many options, and everything that comes with the program (sound and effects) are useful.

Have used Cubase on one 30 minute occasion, wasn't really that impressed. It got the job done, but wasn't as fun to use as Ableton.

either way. try cubase le and see how it feels to you. you say 150 for ableton? you must be talking about the lite version, which I have heard is fairly restricting, i am not sure though. If I were you, id get the interface and use cubase for a month and if you hate it, get the full version of ableton live.

yeah, I found a lexicon omega on craigslist for $35, so imma pick it up and check out cubase.

And I am talking about the lite version, because theres really no way I can pick up the full version. I dont have to $500 or whatever it costs. But hopefully cubase works out for me.

cubase le4 is good if you're looking to mix, track your beats. There's some built in plugins and an audio editor as well. It's a good choice if you use alot of VST's and midi devices thou I believe you can only slave an external device (cubase has to be the master) and you can't use rewire on cubase le 4.

What are your requirements in workflow/functionality?

I need it to be able to work with a midi keyboard and a padkontrol, be able to sample chops and drum hits, and arrange it all pretty easily. Ive found ableton to be perfect for this, so I might just go ahead and go for live.

last time i was in a music store(guitar center, sam ash) they were giving away live lite...its free...and u can use it to upgrade to the full version for 300-350 usd....

I was checking out the differences between live lite and the full version, and the only thing I noticed that worried me is that it only supports 2 vsts at once. Im not sure how I would be able to get around this so I can have some tracks with many instruments. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I was checking out the differences between live lite and the full version, and the only thing I noticed that worried me is that it only supports 2 vsts at once. Im not sure how I would be able to get around this so I can have some tracks with many instruments. Any suggestions?

The LIVE Lite version will do nothing more than piss you off... but you'll be hooked enough to try to find the money for the full version.

LIVE is the best DAW I've used.

The LIVE Lite version will do nothing more than piss you off... but you'll be hooked enough to try to find the money for the full version.

LIVE is the best DAW I've used.

I love live from the demo, but being a 15 year old with no job I dont know how ill be able to get the money for the full version. Ive already spent way more that I was originally planning on to try and get this music thing going. I might just have to get over my hate for Fl studio because thats all I can really afford at the moment :(

i know we dont condone it, and i dont know what situation you are in (if its a matter of saving, save), but there are ways of getting it for cheaper/free. i have never done it but it could be a last resort so that you could at least get started. if i were you though, stick with cubase le and save up for the full version of live

Cubase all day...easy to use, been in business the longest and as far as make experience with logic, protools and cubase it has the less bugs...and who doesnt use it nowadays...Polo da Don and Timbaland use it exclusively

Back