Creating Progressive House Buildup in Logic

dhart3

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some help in creating a buildup for a house track I'm working on in Logic. In the main buildup of my song I'm trying to create a drum pattern that speeds up as things get closer to the climax and drop. If your familiar with house music you'll know the drum pattern I'm describing that gets faster as the beat builds.

Basically I'm wondering how house artists are able to create the buildups and how they achieve this effect. I know they must use some sort of swirling pads that increase in volume along with the drums, but what else do they use? Here is an example of a track with a buildup:

One example would be to search youtube for the video "the island steve angello" and click the first link. The buildup in that song is
from 2:25 - 2:40.

Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Hmm, try to read about how to use automation in your DAW of choice.
That's really all there is, modulate different parameters and see what works best for you.

For the basic getting louder like sweep effect you would want to automate a low pass filter so the automation is starting at a low cutoff frequency then sweeps in an upward curve where it peaks right at the end.

When I make my build ups I try to incorporate a single bar of empty sound right at the end so you have time to feel the build-up and feel whats coming next without it jumping to the next verse too quick and losing that vibe.

Back