Couple of Reason Questions

G

greenuns

Hi
I just installed Reason 2, tried out the tutorials and all, it seems really great.
I might not be understanding 100% of what Reason can do, but
here are my questions

1. Do I have to have a midi, midi keyboard in order to create sounds(notes) for the synths?

2. Is there a 'virtual keyboard' in Reason or can I get a keyboard program which I can connect to Reason? eg. using my computer keyboard to make sounds?

3. Is there a really really cheap keyboard that I could use with Reason? hopefully under $100 (i'm thinking around $50) since I'm not going to make a career out of music.

If anyone could help or direct me to other infos where I could learn more about midi and stuff, that would be brilliant.

thanks in advance
:cheers:

You can attach a matrix to any instrument and draw notes in.
You can draw notes in the sequencer directly.
You can get pretty cheap keyboards, especially since you don't need any sounds in it. But maybe not $50, that's pretty cheap. I'd say $100 US.

Peace
Excentric

It's a module. Reason is set up like a huge hardware rack. At the top you put your mixer, under that you put, say, a subtractor synth. Under that, you could put a delay effect. Under that, you could put a matrix module.
Just right-click in the space below in the rack and it'll automatically wire it. If you hit 'tab', the rack flips around and you can change the wiring to get diffe'nt results.

'centric

you only really need a midi keyboard if you need to program some complicated melodies or you're good enough to record your stuff. for me, i really only use a keyboard to audition chords and simple melodies, and for just messing around. without a good soundcard and a fast system though, the latency will ruin the fun. it's easy to just detach the seqencer window, put it in edit view, and just click the keyboard keys to get started. using the matrix can be helpful for the Subtractor and Malstrom. For the redrum just put it in pattern mode, press play and just start highlighting any of the 16 buttons until you get a good rhythm going. If you want a midi keyboard, the least expensive one would be M-Audio's Oxygen 8, which has 2 octaves of keys. I have a Roland keyboard with 5 octaves, which is nice. Some people need more octaves than others. Check out M-Audio, Evolution and Roland's site for midi controllers. hope that helps. ;) feel free to ask about anything else. i've been using Reason 2 for a few months now, and enjoying it more and more.

= chiisu

Back