Can I Get More Than 16 Trracks When I Rewire Reason To FL Studio?????

Beatz R Us

Been wondering this for a minute. This is mainly the reason i dont use fl studio anymore

anybody know?

???????

Last edited:
Depends on how you are using rewire...which is the master and which is the slave? And it also depends on what you are trying to accomplish...Please give further details, and I'm sure that we can figure that out

im wonderin the same thing...and the situation is...
FL is the master and Reason is the slave...its like after it reason has 16 channels...u can no longer see any other channels to assign them to a midi out...

blublakmusic said:
Depends on how you are using rewire...which is the master and which is the slave? And it also depends on what you are trying to accomplish...Please give further details, and I'm sure that we can figure that out

interesting question since reason couldn't possibly host fl studio....and the 16 track thing is probly cuz you're just rewiring the only mixer device you have in reason....i think if you made another 16 track mixer in reason you could rewire that out too in fl studio by just opening a new rewire track in fl studio...i'm not positive on that tho give it a try

yea, Fl Studio iz da host. So, all i have to do is add another mixer and ill have more midi out channels? cuz if i load up 1 combinator in reason, it uses up almost all of the midi out channels

Beatz R Us said:
yea, Fl Studio iz da host. So, all i have to do is add another mixer and ill have more midi out channels? cuz if i load up 1 combinator in reason, it uses up almost all of the midi out channels

I have this same problem too, would be interested if this is the correct answer, but i think the 16 channels is a restriction in FL, not Reason.

Beatz R Us said:

wait, does that make any sense? you say you load up a combinator and you have to use mulitple midi outs for one combi?

xtrordinare said:
wait, does that make any sense? you say you load up a combinator and you have to use mulitple midi outs for one combi?

Because when i load a combinator patch in reason, then link it to a midi out in FL, FL gives me a list of both the combinator and all the little devices that the combinator is made up of, so if you have two combinators rewired that can easily take up the 16 midi outs.

Last edited:
dee2good said:
Because when i load a combinator patch in reason, then link it to a midi out in FL, FL gives me a list of both the combinator and all the little devices that the combinator is made up of, so if you have two combinators rewired that can easily take up the 16 midi outs.

umm, ok so your just loading a combi patch and not making your own right? so ive never had that problem, just open say, your combi is on midi out 10, just open a midi out with the channel being on 10, and the patch should play without having to open more midi outs just to satisfy the other sounds in the combi

Beatz R Us said:
so wut iz u sayin? i should just start makin my own combi's instead of usin otha one's?

well im not saying you should, its def suggested, but nothing wrong with using their own patches....

None of that speculation is the correct answer. In fact, the answer has nothing to do with Reason. It's all in FL. If you click on the "Midi Options" button, there's section in there sort of like this. "Map-Input Port 5 Add/Change.
to Reason6. This last line is the one you're concerned with. Click the "Reason6. You'll see Reason 7, Reason8, Reason9 etc. Basically, this list grows automatically according to the number of "devices", not necessarily instruments, in Reason. Each of these will contain 16 devices. Those devices equal 16 channels each. If you had a Reason document with 16 instruments, you'd see the first 16 in Reason6, and 1 in Reason7. The best thing to do is choose a port (this is the same as midi out port) and map it to Reason 6. This port number will handle all instruments on Reason6. Choose Reason7, and map the input to the next port and so on and so forth. Now you will need to notice which port and channel number each instrument you'd like to access is on. An instrument may be channel 5 (number 5 in the list of devices to the right) Reason6, and port 7 if that's the port you've chosen. Now create a midi out, put it on port 7, channel 5. Over on the Reason side, you can route this instrument's output to any of the inputs on the "Reason hardware interface" module at the top. At this point, you should be able to play this instrument with your midi keyboard. So you see, this has nothing to do with combinators, or mixers. Anything other than instruments simply waste slots on the FL list and cause FL to create more Reason6, Reason7, Reason8 etc. The more "devices" the more of these FL will create to allow you access to them. The limit is the number of inputs Reason has on the "hardware interface. Definitely complicated though. I have to relearn it every time I tell somebody how it works. I had to relearn it just now. LOL.

Peace Beatz , why are you using rewire to bounce your tracks to another host ? I don't use rewire anymore when I am going into Protools, that takes to long. I save each track as a wav and then bring it up Protools and it's there. I never use Rewire at ALL!!! And it sound hot this is two tracks I have done and put in Protools and mixed.

www.myspace.com/rahdanoc44

Thanks L.A. Stone, but it still sounds kinda complicated. lol
DaNOC, I dont use fl studio to bounce my tracks, i just wanna use my refiil's and vst's in da same beat

Hey everyone. I'm now using FL 11 64 bit and Reason 8 64 bit rewired with 14 combinators and it's AWEEESOMME. but the new versions of fl and reason make it a little more tricky so I just wanted to post this. Reason 7, as many of us know, now comes with a mixer, so that creates a little problem with rewire
FIRST, start a blank patch. To do this, you go to edit/preferences/general tab. In there there should be a box that says "default song", pick empty. Then the idea is to create a stack of combinators that occupy most of the available 16 rewire channels (I was able to get 14, which is plenty for me)
MOST IMPORTANTLY WITH NEW VERSIONS, When inserting your combinators, Reason will automatically create a mix track for you, unfortunantly these mixer tracks will be assigned channels in your rewire within fl, not good, pointless really when you're rewiring. What you want to do every time you insert a combinator is right click the mixer track it comes with and select "disconnect device", then delete it. After deleting all those, you should just have a stack of combinators without mixer tracks. THEN insert mixer tracks of your own at the bottom of your rack UNDER all of your combinators and manually connect each combinator to one of them. THIS WAY, Fl's rewire will recognize the first instruments in Reason's rack which are your combinators. I was able to get 14 combinators routed in FL this way. 14, for me, is more than enough

Last edited:
I haven't really liked rewiring reason into FL studio, I use ableton when I want to use reason, much better integration.

Never tried it but reason's hardware interface module actually has way more than 16 of those. The more audio button expands it.
Fl studio goes to 99 mixer channels right? But if that's a rewire limitation then nvm,

Back