Can Ableton be used as a full on DAW?

Captainjazz123

Can I use Ableton to record live instruments? Does it have the mixing capabilities like Logic or Pro-Tools?
Say for example I record a full band or a guy with an acoustic guitar...is it possible? No electronic music at all.

When reading around, I kinda get the notion that most people that strictly work with audio recordings use one of the other big ones.
However, the only thing ableton really lack (that I can think of) are some audio editing functions. I think it should work out perfectly fine.

When reading around, I kinda get the notion that most people that strictly work with audio recordings use one of the other big ones.
However, the only thing ableton really lack (that I can think of) are some audio editing functions. I think it should work out perfectly fine.

What do you mean audio editing functions?

What do you mean audio editing functions?
Not like mixing and that. But I don't think there's e.g. a way to normalize audio in ableton. I usually don't record audio, so I'm not that deep into it though. Either way you can link ableton up with an external audio editor like audacity, which will fix that right up.

Ableton has no normalisation function, that is true (except on render)... but I don't see why that's really an issue. Being able to normalise a clip is effectively useless. Normalising a sample is like pressing a 'randomise my levels' button.

Live is designed to generally not edit audio files. That's one of it's features, it's non-destructive. But, Live does edit audio. In fact Live has a brilliant mechanism to edit audio: you can just cut, drag and drop things as you see fit in the arrange view. Then if you want to create a new audio file you can just right click and consolidate without ever having to faff around with audio files and references, and Live never damages the original file.

If you want to apply effects to a sound file you can do that too, but using an effects chain with far more versatility than any linear audio editing package.

You can even tell Live to freeze a channel into an audio stream without you having to worry about the files at all, and unfreeze it if you want to tweak it...then commit it to an audio file whenever you want.

I can't see what more you would want from audio editing that would require installing a third part audio editor... which you can if you want, and Live will talk to it I think.

Based on my experience with Cakewalk: Sonar, Pro Tools, Digital Performer and Ableton Live, Ableton Live is a full on DAW for audio production and recording. Pro tools and Digital performer have some above and beyond features like video/audio editing. If you are recording live bands in a studio environment or doing post mixing then I would recommend Pro Tools because its very powerful and an Industry standard. Pro tools also seems to have a better workflow for mixing and mastering but that's just personal preference. I use Ableton for producing electronic music and also vocals and guitar for a lot of "in the box" stuff. Ableton has everything I need and is very intuitive.

Both can get the same job done, but it all comes down to what you're most comfortable with.

I'm not sure what you mean by in-the-box given that it's designed for Live performance and recording based production... they're its two main features. It's called 'Live' and is used by large scale performers. It has a (recording) session view, which is part of it's workflow and is one of the major ways it's different to other DAWs. It is designed to be completely non-destructive and manage audio files seamlessly. It can communicate with outboard equipment seamlessly too.

Last edited:
By in-the-box I mean that all of the recording can be done using software in my computer (Reason, Gearbox/Amp Farm, etc). You dont have to have much external gear like a mixer or interfaces to create music.

Back