Bitwig Studiio

Jonny Rich

hi has anyone used bitwig before? ive heard a lot of good things about it but i would like feedback on it to see what people think before moving over there from FL Studio...
many thanks.

I just started using it about a month ago. I had originally started with Cubase SX3, so it was a pretty easy learning curve with Bitwig. The built-in synths and plugins are actually pretty good. I'd definitely give it a try!

Bitwig is very similar to Ableton (seeing as it was created by former Ableton developers). But has some added features. Like you can have a split screen that shows both the arrangement and scenes views. Which is pretty cool. And the new version has gone very modular where you can do quite a bit of customization to the application.

I own Bitwig and it's awesome in many ways. I have used Ableton for 10 years, and Bitwig accomplished almost the same solid features at 1.0. There are just a few things that keep me on Ableton:
1) Ableton Push...I can't express how much this makes things easy, especially drum rolls and automation. I would still use Bitwig, but...
2)They still have not implemented the 'smart clip' feature, where I record a clip, and Ableton already knows to cut to the nearest bar. So, every clip in Bitwig has to be preset length, or you will always have to edit after recording. That is very distracting to the creative process.

As for modulation using LFOs, Bitwig smokes Ableton. Every parameter I can think of is very easily modulated in Bitwig with extensive options. In Ableton, you must have Max4Live, and you'll need an instance for every modulation you want. Ableton's LFO is not very CPU efficient, so using 10 will be noticeable. If you never used an Ableton Push, or experienced the smart clip feature, you may be able to overlook that an have a lot of fun in Bitwig. Try their demo!

Back