Best daw for syncing Korg Volta series?

Os78

Quite simple, I have purchased the above for a home studio I'm putting together. I have always used digital platform using FL / rebirth and cubase for a small period.

as I'm incorporating hardware now, wondered if I would need to change from using FL? I read somewhere that FL was particularly bad for syncing the volca series. Can anyone verify this? And if so what daw would you recommend?

fl is bad for synching to anything - it is the master clock or nothing, and even then it has problems generating useful synch for some devices

cubase on the other hand will synch as a slave to your volta series or it can provide an appropriate solid master clock to your your volta

Thanks for clarifying, as it happens I was going to get a new daw anyway, between albeton and cubase. I heard albeton has a better work flow and I have seen a tutorial syncing the Volta relatively easily.

can I hook all 3 volcas simultaneously and live record in both albeton and cubase? If truth be told, I prefer the look of cubase but am 100% open to the best option.

have never tried ableton beyond a brief visit during its days at version 4 to try operator or whatever their fm synth module was

did not like the workflow, but then I grew up with pro-24 v1.7 through to v3 (the midi engine inside of cubase)/notator logic (before it became an audio editing daw) and then moved via cubase vsn 2 (the first time around) on mac and then to cubase score vst32 5.2.1r (again the first time around) on pc before moving to cubase 5.5.3 and reason (now at 7, moving to 8 when it drops)

so from where I sit cubase is a better program but it is also one of my mainstays over the last 30 years

I guess FL is the odd one out in many regards - the audio recording seems to be a bit of an afterthought (although admittedly I'm not sure how it is in the current version), and it also rarely seems to be the epicentre of a hardware-based studio. That's not to say it wouldn't work for either task, but it's just not really designed for that.

I've been using Ableton for a long time, in a hardware/software hybrid style - a bunch of synths and drum machines synced to Live via MIDI (through a dedicated MIDI interface) & audio recorded through a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Behringer ADA8000 combo. I think it's very straightforward, mostly - there are occasionally some niggles with the timing, but nothing too major. Shouldn't really be an issue with only those three Volcas, especially if you use the sync cables as I suggested in that other thread.

I haven't used Cubase enough to say whether or not it's better...but suffice to say don't go choosing a DAW based on how it looks. It is, of course, a big part of the initial appeal, but it's still a tool first and foremost (albeit one you'll end up staring a lot). You don't go choosing a hammer based on the color of the handle :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your insightful replies.

I will see if I can try out cubase and albeton again, see which work flow I prefer. Problem I got is internet very slow where I live so can't download demos currently.

I've researched and researched what would be the easier daw out of the two to transition from FL but alot of answers are "try them" or "how long is a piece of string" type answers which I appreciate but these answers generally come as someone is looking to 'upgrade' for no other reason than they think they should have a more serious. Daw than Fl.

I genuinely need to change as hardware syncing dictates this. Anyone been in the same situation & have an opinion on the easier daw to transition to?

Back