Anyone try REASON 7 yet?

mguz11

I have 6.5 right now debating on getting 7 just would like to get a 3rd party perspective and see if its worth shelling up the 130 for the upgrade or just spend that money elsewhere.

Several of us have been part of the beta testing program - with release day as today (i.e.30/4, which it is where I am), it is safe to say that most of the new features that are worth the extra money - the parallel processing and group bus routing alone are worth that much. Add in the new synths and effects and you are on a hiding to nothing for the upgrade fee being more than reasonable.

Last edited:
Agree with Bandcoach. For 130 bucks new effects, presets, instruments and all would be well worth it for me. Midi support now finally added. Not that I'd use it, but it's something ppl have been bitching about for years. Also, for all the samplers, it's got it's own neat little slicer added. Then, on top of that, you get parallel processing and group bus routing made easy with it as well!
For a 130 bucks, something I'm well willing to help support my number one favorite DAW for!

im liking the update so far. been waiting for MIDI out so i can use my motif especially with audio quantize and built in REX(rex lite pretty much) is cool too

They even did something with the fact it didn't support all music formats. It supports almost all of em now, mp3, wma, aac.
Propellerhead really shown with 6 they really started listening to some big critic on reason, and did something to solve practicly all of em! Super nice work!

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

This, IMO , makes Reason the greatest DAW there is.
The major load of resources around their product itself, that they offer for free. Tons of Inspirational artist stories with their favorite patches, the tutorials, all the activities they organize, I wouldn't wanna use any other DAW!

Last edited:
Got it, haven't even looked to see what was new yet. Just been working as usual.

First thing I noticed was faders on the modules now, that made me very happy. 1st time the small things have ever got me hype, usually I'm like "why dudes so hype about this little add on?" but that alone will make the interface so much easier for my uses.

What new effects are in here? Looking now.

My favorite things about Reason 7:

- MIDI out -- I've been using Reason exclusively to make beats, but MIDI out allows me to use Kontakt libraries to further layer my sounds)
- MP3 import + ability to make REX files -- this just opens up a whole new world when it comes to sampling, especially when using Kong.
- Visual spectrum EQ -- the SSL mixer is awesome, but being able to visualize the frequencies will change the mixing/mastering process for me
- Faders on the modules -- it was always a pain to have to navigate up to the mixer to make a volume adjustment, but now you can do it straight from the rack

These are huge for me, but of course there's still grouping tracks, parallel processing, and I don't know if it's just me but Reason 7 seems faster and more efficient with memory.

I already loved recording vocals in Reason 6.5 (punching in is the best I've ever experienced personally), but the improvements in Reason 7 make composing beats and mixing/mastering even better. I'm loving it even more.

Also, the Audiomatic Retro Transformer is pretty cool. :)

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I would also have to agree that the Visual EQ is awesome as well as the frequency spectrum analyzer.

I can't find the new effects so far. New Synths, probably :D There were so many to begin with already, might be nice to have a list of exact changes. Maybe that is somewhere and I just can't be arsed to find it :P

But man o man, one go at the spectrum eq and that alone already makes it worth paying 130 bucks for the upgrade!

Depending on the version you are coming from, you won't see any new synths. The only new rack items if coming from 6/6.5 are some effects and processing. No new instruments.

That said, I still think it's well worth the $$$ for the upgrade. Parallel processing, bussing and spectrum EQ were the big sellers for me as I came from Reason 5. It's a whole new world with the SSL mixer :)

My favorite things about Reason 7:

- MIDI out -- I've been using Reason exclusively to make beats, but MIDI out allows me to use Kontakt libraries to further layer my sounds)
- MP3 import + ability to make REX files -- this just opens up a whole new world when it comes to sampling, especially when using Kong.
- Visual spectrum EQ -- the SSL mixer is awesome, but being able to visualize the frequencies will change the mixing/mastering process for me
- Faders on the modules -- it was always a pain to have to navigate up to the mixer to make a volume adjustment, but now you can do it straight from the rack

These are huge for me, but of course there's still grouping tracks, parallel processing, and I don't know if it's just me but Reason 7 seems faster and more efficient with memory.

I already loved recording vocals in Reason 6.5 (punching in is the best I've ever experienced personally), but the improvements in Reason 7 make composing beats and mixing/mastering even better. I'm loving it even more.

Wait...you can import midi now?

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?

Gotta check, if that's true, that changes the game for how I sample and how I record artists that walk thru my door. Pro Tools may be taking a back seat for the 1st time since I've been on a mac. Anyone got a full list of what's new in 7? I didn't know about half this stuff, seemed like the only thing advertised was a bigger library of sounds(with a focus on loops), and midi out. I'm also digging this orange rack extention with the vinyl and tape sounds. Works great for dirtying up sounds just adjust the dry/wet knob until it fits your mix.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Bump. How do I find a list of all the new stuff in Reason? I haven't even tried turning clips to Rex loops yet, just not beneficial for my workflow when I timestretch slice and rearrange eveything withing the audio clip and use transpose to pitch up and down the samples. But I'm thinking their may be other beneficial features I'm missing. I never woulda thought for a second I can now drag/drop mp3s. Now if only I could export them as well.

Does this mean Recycle is now officially obsolete at $200-250 for less functionality than Reason's Audio Clip?

I can no longer say it's easier to use FL and Edison. That's HUGE!!!!!

Last edited:
^^^That's all the advertised stuff.

MP3 import, that orange Rack extention effect box with Tape and vinyl effects, and a few other things that are popping up haven't been listed. I was just looking for a full list of features.

Or has mp3 import been around longer and I didn't notice?

Last edited:
MP3 , wma and aac import is the first in 7 .
Normally with upgrades on software you do get complete lists with the updates. It's nice for all the ppl who want to take a closer look at what exactly has been upgraded. I bet they probably did some background upgrades on stability, general software upgrading and all of that as well. Which would be nice to list.

Side note, I hope we get a free 7.5 upgrade with something major added in 6 months like we got with 6 to 6.5 :D Never can't get enough freebees :P

Downloaded my free upgrade to Essentials 2.

Seen the loop I loaded up automatically chopped. Stretched it to be on time. Hit play.

Closed Essentials. Shuts off computer for the night.

Pinky+and+the+Brain.jpg

I might actually use the octo thingawhatchamacallit now. And actually use the live sampling thing too.

If Reason had a faster zoom in like in Cubase. Cubase would be collecting dust.

Last edited:
its worth it for sure. a lot of the features mentioned might be small but they really glue everything together.
for example the eq spectrum really pushed the easy button on the mixing workflow. they have a few more things to get right but this upgrade is worth the doe...

Ey! I got a problem! I just got my Reason 7 upgrade, so I uninstalled Reason 6.5 and downloaded the new version, i cant wait to start i got a few samples ready ....... now here's what fukz wit my mind... Im on a Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.6.8, when i try launching Reason it says i need OS X 10.7.6 or newer... now where do i go from here?? I certainly don't have the money for a new mac, this shit is ridiculous.. Would love if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Back