Anyone try REASON 7 yet?

nowhere to go but get that upgrade - similar issue with windows, won't work on non-64 bit systems below win 7 - it means me buying the upgrade and a new machine and retrograding the OS to 7 (if I can still find a copy) - I did my beta testing on my laptop which is being used by my son most of the time for his college work

A mate of mine bought a copy of win 7 x64 on ebay for 50 bucks. Maybe an option for you as well?
Your hardware needs to support 64 bit though. It is the way to go imo.
No experience with macs though.

Thanks, I bought the newest 10.8.3, and im in Reason now. So im trying to get used to use the slicing and stretch mode in Reason istead of Recycle now.. When i discovered a baaad thing, and i don't know where or whats causing it. You see, in Recycle stretching mode did only stretch the last part of audioslice to fill gaps. This wasnt real time stretch, now what Reason offer now is real time stretch. My problem however, is now when i bounced audio slices to Dr.Rex and play on full velocity on my keys, THAT F'''in delayed stretch sound from Recycle is ON it! i mean.. what the f.. I really hope somebody heres know what im doing wrong, because if it just is like that, no thats a BIG letdown right there..

shits weird because it isn't sounding like that when audio file(with chops) is played from the sequencer, ONLY in Dr.Rex, after bouncing.. thats wierd as f.. please help me and tell me i can turn it off somewhere

Thanks, I bought the newest 10.8.3, and im in Reason now. So im trying to get used to use the slicing and stretch mode in Reason istead of Recycle now.. When i discovered a baaad thing, and i don't know where or whats causing it. You see, in Recycle stretching mode did only stretch the last part of audioslice to fill gaps. This wasnt real time stretch, now what Reason offer now is real time stretch. My problem however, is now when i bounced audio slices to Dr.Rex and play on full velocity on my keys, THAT F'''in delayed stretch sound from Recycle is ON it! i mean.. what the f.. I really hope somebody heres know what im doing wrong, because if it just is like that, no thats a BIG letdown right there..

shits weird because it isn't sounding like that when audio file(with chops) is played from the sequencer, ONLY in Dr.Rex, after bouncing.. thats wierd as f.. please help me and tell me i can turn it off somewhere

I know what you mean bro. I asked the guys over at propellerheads forum and they kept saying that's how it's always been in Reason. I was pissed. I love they added that in reason but it pisses me off that there is no work-around.

That is blatantly a stupid bug. It has to be, i mean woow. Because if its supposed to be like that so you got to have recycle too, so you have to reload the Rex-file into Recycle to turn "stretching" off. because Recycle doesn't work on the same Mountain Lion which you need in order to run Reason 7. This is just lazy.. I mean, the rest of the feautures is nice, but this is becoming a pain in my but. Its so nice to have real time stretch, but why does it add a fake timestretch once you put it in Dr.rex? its just wierd and totally unnecessary.

Btw. some guy said on a video on youtube that dr.octorex could stretch slices inside it, now thats what the update should have been. a updated dr.rex machine.. but its fine how they did it too, i just cant stand or understand why they put a fake timestretch automaticly when files are bounced. its stupid. We gotto let em know about this, we cant have it.. we beatmakers need to stick together so they will change this in next update.. sorry for ranting tho

I let them know. If you go to their forum they'll tell you that that's the way Reason is supposed to do it to make up for strange artifacts or something at the tail end of samples so it'll try and loop the last half millisecond or something. People over there were acting like it wasn't a big deal but I was like "YES IT IS". Especially for guys like me who love to chop samples into rex files. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it this way so that you still have to rely on Recycle for your chopping needs. Just a thought though.

Aight. Yes. but It's no need for that to be on there. When the sample already is stretched (without big artifacts) why would any artifacts be it in dr.rex? it should definitely be an option to have it on or off (that silly recycle stretching.) I could always move my workflow over to Kong, then this wouldn't be a problem, but i don't like Kong so i won't do it! i think there is something I'm missing here. a button or something. I would use recycle, but it doesn't work on this new system, along with Logic. shits stupid really..

Just get everyone (samplers) that face that problem, tell em in a positive feedback manner. I'm sure that the ppl at Propellerhead will do something with it. There's always a few free updates coming out in the run for the next version. Like last time we got a major free update, remember 6.5? Also, try to see what they did the past years. The biggest issues that everyone was bitching at have been solved by now. To me, that proves they listen.
MP3 support, midi, slicing (yeah, bugged), big vst producers producing rack extensions, etc.
Me, I have confidence in the lads at Propellerhead that they'll fix this. We'll have to be patient. Reason still gives me something that no other DAW comes even close to. At least, that's how I feel about it.
Anyway, you guys sound like your samplers anyway, you guys probably been using recycle anyway, so there's still an option. Now you just have to patiently wait till they update it.

Yeah, i Love Reason and the Propellerhead guys tho. That's why i was so upset about this. I probably had too big expectations.. i mean its a minor bug but.. yeah I agree the major updates is good, I bought Reason 5 before, with free upgrade to Reason 6, then got 6.5 with it and have had nothing but fun with it. Im satisfied with how my growth in making beats have been the last years, so nothing but love towards Propellerhead, and i'm sure they will fix this thing too. I can't use recycle on the same system as Reason.. but It isn't too bad because ill probably grow into the new slice'ing feature in a couple of weeks. I made a dope djpremier type beat, just after letting some steam off on here, just to prove to myself that is wasn't a big of a problem to me, so now Im happy. But they really should fix that stretch-echo tho, haha:4theloveofgod:

Djpremier type of beat? I wanna hear :cool:
Can't stand the modern path hiphop is going and can't get enough of ppl making oldskool, jazzy style, real work :p

Hope I'm reading right. You're saying you edit and timestretch a loop in an audiotrack, turn it to a rex file and then load it into Dr. Rex and get that delay drag crap? If so, to fix it, after editing, timestretching, and pitching(highlight the clip and mess with the transpose), save the loop as an audio file, then reload it into the audio clip before exporting to Dr. Rex. If you don't do all that, the timestretch is just and "effect" and you're still loading the audio clip in it's raw form into Dr. Rex.

Not sure how you work, but I find it easier to just chop up in the audio clip. Same way I did in FL and Pro Tools. You can just razor slice and move stuff around to where you want it, but everyone works different, so if you must load into Dr. Rex, remember to export the audio clip(loop) with the stretch/pitch effects in place first.

Yeah, you got it! thanks alot man, i see it much clearer now. Your right about the workflow tho, i should probably switch it up and learn to use Kong because i think its much easier too use the razor like you mentioned. I was kinda hoping they would have it so you could just slice that way, stretch parts if needed then mark everything - join clips (but with the slices still there) so I could then bounce it all to dr.rex directly for quick access to samples on my keys.. that would have been perfect for my workflow, quick, easy and creative.. but i guess i have to do some changes now. Anyways good looks on giving me the right answer!

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

---- that might still work tho? or bringing audio files like that together doesn't work? hmm, if so i guess i would have to bounce each slice to new samples anyways (or delete unused recordings on each slice) in order to stretch them individually and for them to stay like that if i can bring em together in the end.. at all?

Basically.. how it works now is.. that It just set markers, it doesn't slice anything, because I'm locked into that start and endpoint stretch thing.. man, bring some more light on this for me if you got something. would truly appreciate some input on this.

Yeah, you got it! thanks alot man, i see it much clearer now. Your right about the workflow tho, i should probably switch it up and learn to use Kong because i think its much easier too use the razor like you mentioned. I was kinda hoping they would have it so you could just slice that way, stretch parts if needed then mark everything - join clips (but with the slices still there) so I could then bounce it all to dr.rex directly for quick access to samples on my keys.. that would have been perfect for my workflow, quick, easy and creative.. but i guess i have to do some changes now. Anyways good looks on giving me the right answer!

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

---- that might still work tho? or bringing audio files like that together doesn't work? hmm, if so i guess i would have to bounce each slice to new samples anyways (or delete unused recordings on each slice) in order to stretch them individually and for them to stay like that if i can bring em together in the end.. at all?

Basically.. how it works now is.. that It just set markers, it doesn't slice anything, because I'm locked into that start and endpoint stretch thing.. man, bring some more light on this for me if you got something. would truly appreciate some input on this.
Oh, you can somehow set it to slice at points, but I can't walk you through that because I just use the audio clip. Gimme a sec to look thru it, I'm pretty sure you can make it auto slice, but it still won't stay timestretched.

Reason why I stuck to using audio clips. Been doing that since 6, but now I can load any audio into them so I don't need a loop editor on the side.

My last part didn't make any sense to me now, i was tired when i wrote that.. so anyways.. i came to figure out this: When points are sliced and stretched inside the new slicer thing, exported and imported the delay is still in dr.rex because of its how it works.. the stretch audio will now have the delay on it.. thats my point.. even if you just are going to stretch audio and have it in dr.rex, you have to export it, reimport it then reslice it, and it should be fine yes, but no. because the main thing is it will always add fake timestretch to it when you put it in dr.rex. this isnt just a problem for samplers, but also for everybody using dr.rex guitar players or whatnot, drummers... because they will have the delay on their samples too.. nomather what.. blatantly stupid if you ask me. they gotto change this

and what your doing you could do that on 6 without an editor too since you used import audio to bring it in i guess. but yeah, your right, nothing but propellorheads can solve this problem it seems. isnt any on or off buttons. it audomaticly slices, you can delete it what you want and put slices on it yes. but the delay will still be there

Last edited:
^^^Yeah, that sucks. Sorry I couldn't help more. But I will stress at this point, you may want to look at the advantages of the audio clip. It gives you the option to edit like you would an audio file in Pro Tools, Sonar or even FL if you're using audio clips.

Do you know any tutorial video on using Kong with audio clips.. possibly any advice on how to route things to make it act the way dr.rex do.. or a preset or something would be greatly appreciated.

Back