Advice on Mixing??

Taybot

I just finished making my first beat on Logic. Now I need to mix it, and I was wondering if I should do that on Logic or Pro Tools?

I really like Logic for makin beats but I know I want to learn to record audio on ProTools, so I'm gonna buy ProTools regardless. I am just wondering if I should bother mixing down my beat in Logic, or should I put the beat into Pro Tools and mix it from there?

Also, should I record vocals first and then mix everything (the beat and my vocals) at once? Or should I mix the beat down, then record vocals, then mix the vocals?

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!!

you can mix however you want. your mix is also part of your style. two examples of way different mixes, are dr. dre, which are quiet, with booming bass and crisp vocals, or tricky stewart, who just makes everything really loud and fusioned. mix it until you like what you are hearing. and if you could you should mix the vocals with the beat together, because I have noticed that mixing a beat, then putting vocals over it mashes some parts up.
apparently a lot of people like to make each track into an audio file and mix it into pro tools like that, which seems like it could be good, do whatever works. i'm sure logic is just as powerful as pro tools, cuz make luv in da club yea was made with logic, probably recorded with pro tools tho

coo thx man I appreciate it!

Anyone else got any advice? Should I put the beat into pro tools and mix it in there, or is it better to mix it in Logic??

I wanna say first of all that I dont have any experience with protools nor Logic. But Id say its all up to you and how comfortable you feel around each one of them.

Mixing in logic is dope...but i understand if u want to learn pro tools cus its industry standard. Do what u feel like. It sure more convenient to mix where u make the beat. This way u dont even have to track ur beat to audio, u can just keep everything in midi which makes editing a lot easier, at least for me

There is only one thing to focus on. Making a dope track. If you mix good in logic stay there and use protools to learn it for learning sake.
But don't handicap yourself trying to force your work flow into a new box.

In fact to realy learn how to do it in protools you should mix in logic first. Do a great job and then mix with the same exact settings in protools. There will be differences. That's a good thing because you'll quickly learn how the programs function and behave differently

you can't learn those small differences by mixing 1 song in PT and another in logic.
But mixing the SAME sing in both will show direct equalities and differences in sound and workflow.

Last: in my opinion you should mix beat and vocals together. Don't do just the bears mix. Then a vocal mix. Why? Because the voice is an instrument. It carries a unique sound and certain frequencies and must be treated like any other instrument. Rather than a person talking and singing along with music, the voice should be treated to belong "in" the song.

There is only one thing to focus on. Making a dope track. If you mix good in logic stay there and use protools to learn it for learning sake.
But don't handicap yourself trying to force your work flow into a new box.

In fact to realy learn how to do it in protools you should mix in logic first. Do a great job and then mix with the same exact settings in protools. There will be differences. That's a good thing because you'll quickly learn how the programs function and behave differently

you can't learn those small differences by mixing 1 song in PT and another in logic.
But mixing the SAME sing in both will show direct equalities and differences in sound and workflow.

Last: in my opinion you should mix beat and vocals together. Don't do just the bears mix. Then a vocal mix. Why? Because the voice is an instrument. It carries a unique sound and certain frequencies and must be treated like any other instrument. Rather than a person talking and singing along with music, the voice should be treated to belong "in" the song.

very well put!

Thanks Dre. I don't really know how to mix in either program. I'm a beginner to Logic, only using it for beats right now. But I know I want to learn to record and possibly mix in ProTools. That way I can take my recordings to other studios if I want to.

I feel the best advice I got so far is make the beat in logic, give it a rough mix, put it in ProTools as a stereo file, spit my vocals, then put all the tracks into ProTools and mix the whole song (including the vocals) together.

Do you think that is good advice? Thanks!

Back