Ableton Users, prefered method of chopping samples?

Mr. Freeze

I'm fairly new to Ableton and the whole software interface but so far I've come across a few ways to import and chop samples.

I was wondering how you guys go about doing so and which way is the easiest and most practical for you.

I'm not really into beat-matching, auto-slice, etc. type of functions. I just want to do it the good old fashioned way. I've been messing with the sampler in Ableton but it seems a bit limited. Essentially, I just want to be able to dump an audio file in, assign different start points to keys, and play out my sequence this way. Nothing too complicated. Is there an easier way to do this in Ableton that I'm not seeing? Or do you guys prefer to use Kontakt, Recycle, Audition, etc. to chop, then import into Ableton?

If the latter, which instrument/device do you use to import the chops and play them?

Thanks in advance.

I've been wondering this same thing myself. I'm in the same boat as you in that I want to chop up samples (say a vocal) and assign different starting points but I haven't found any easy way of doing it. You can grab a section of audio and put it in impulse, but this isn't quite the way I've been looking to do it. Anyone else??

im using drum racks mpc style...its works for me unless u feel like chopping it in the arrangement view and time warping on ur own using warp markers...

also

If your on version 7 you can always select the loop or portion of a track that you want with the loop marker (bar), right click and chose to slice . It lets you select to slice up the loop into 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. It automatically opens a new midi track with the slices split up. You can assing pads or keys from you midi controller and play then how you want.

Hope that makes sense.

Bryce

Okay, upon further trial and error I think I've found a pretty good workflow for chopping/editing.

I basically bring up my sample in the browser, drag it onto an audio track in the arrangement view, then chop each individual part I want and then drag these parts into Sampler's zone window. After I have all my chops, I can then map them to the keyboard accordingly and wala, you got your samples mapped across the keyboard.

I prefer this method over using drum tracks because with all my samples in Sampler, I can edit global parameters (ie, pitch, filter, etc) on the fly. I don't think you can edit any global parameters in drum tracks because each sample is assigned to a seperate Simpler module. If anyone knows a way to edit global parameters for each sample in Drum Tracks, please fill me in.

Another question I have though. Is there a way to assign recorded audio to it's own folder (ie, Pro-Tools) Because right now all my recorded audio is going to a universal folder and I'm not feeling that too much.

peace

Live 7 makes this pretty easy with either Drum Racks, or Simpler.

Just drag file into Rack pad or Simpler and you can manually adjust start and end points from there.

The same can be done for impulse as well.

Also truncated clips in the Session view can be put into Drum racks, Samplers, Simplers, or Impulses. (Same for arrange view but Arrange view even gives you a little more flexibility of being able to select individual component of loops a little easier).

Which method you use depends on what you are trying to do, what stage of writing you are in etc.

To me it makes sense to use a drum Rack but it depends on if you need impulses's stretch function or want to play sample chromatically in simpler or sampler.

I am sure we will see some updates to the drum tracks to allow for simple editing of pitch and layer , its been a huge topic at the ableton forums and there are reps there who listin to what the clients want lol imagine that ...... for now i use battery in ableton untill i can find a better way but its not a all in 1 solution yet.

thefish828 said:
I've been wondering this same thing myself. I'm in the same boat as you in that I want to chop up samples (say a vocal) and assign different starting points but I haven't found any easy way of doing it. You can grab a section of audio and put it in impulse, but this isn't quite the way I've been looking to do it. Anyone else??

Live is probably has the easiest tools for doing this on any program (besides maybe something like Kontakt).

Auto slice is probably the easiest way to do this.

Take a clip, adjust warp markers, and slice by warp markers.

I would read up on warp markers and what not.

To get a good understanding of Live, understanding how to use warp markers is very neccesary.

Back