Ableton. Unstable Engine?

Zil

Iridescent Raindrops
A friend of mine said that Ableton's engine is unsteady, and therefore it is harder to create a good solid mix with warm thick sound, and therefore he has moved to Reason and Logic instead. He claims even bigger producers complain about it. I had a different friend tell me that Ableton's inbuilt plug-ins cause too many artifacts. Anyone else hear anything like this or can elaborate on this more? I am a heavy Ableton user, since it's workflow is incredible and I get a lot more done in it than I ever did in Logic (which I don't have a license for currently since I can't run 7 on Lion and am saving up for other things...)

And what would "instability" have to to with sound quality? I'm sure your friend has no idea what he's talking about and I've never used Ableton Live a day in my life.

Heard awesome tracks come from it that were very well mixed though.

Last edited:
Bollox!

If you use it heavy...it must be "stable" "steady" for you I'm guessing right?

Maybe his computer isnt "steady" "stable" just a thought.

By heavy, I mean, that I use it all the time.

The thing is, what I mentioned I've heard from several individuals, and I did notice when I looked back at old Logic tracks of mine when I wasn't as good at mixing, that they do sound a LOT warmer and crisper.

Therefore, I was just curious if anyone else on this board had noticed anything.

Last edited:
Export tracks out of Live, import into Logic, match levels (and make sure you're using the same pan laws etc.) - does it sound "warmer and crisper" without doing anything? Probably not.

maybe your friends are a bit unstable

:P

Then again I can see where all this is coming from. I have been using Live for quite some while, and I think that I can hear a difference now that I switched to Cubase. The difference may or may not be there, but I can almost swear I can hear it.. :P

Your friend probably just heard that some people don't like to mix in ableton as much compared to other daws then drew his own conclusion from that.
Its true ableton isn't really the mainstream 'preferred' mixing platform. But that doesnt mean that the engine has anything wrong with it..its just not established as well as other daws are for mixing. But you can still do it.

Back