Ableton MIDI problem?

ropstah

I have this huge problem with my MIDI controllers and I have no idea what's going on!

I'm using Ableton Live 8.1.3 and have enabled 'Track' in the MIDI preferences dialog for both my keyboard as well as my padkontrol. I see the 'Track In' indicator in Ableton light up when I press a key (see attached image). But the track (which is armed for recording) doesn't get the MIDI signals... What am I doing wrong???

P.s. It might be worth noting that the standalone versions of my VSTs DO actually work. Ableton WAS working before, however suddenly this 'thing' is happening!

Last edited:
Right, so i just updated to 8.2 and the problem persists... same story, input is 'measured' by indicators but not sent to track... track is 'armed' and controller has track input 'enabled'.

Any ideas? I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm using a 'for-home-to-try' version? ;)

Go to your Options and then prefernences. Then hit the Midi/Sync tab. Check there to see the status of the inputs of your midi controller. If "Track" isn't highlighted, that's your problem. It's possible that "Sync" and "Remote" are highlighted and Live is receiving midi data from it, but you won't hear sound. "Track" has to be highlighted to do what you want to do.

Appreciate your answer, however as stated before I have 'Track' enabled in the Midi preferences dialog. You can also see in my screenshot that the 'Track indicator' is lighting up (indicated by arrow). This would not be the case if 'Track' was disabled in the Midi preferences.

I do see that my Keystation is listed twice in the list. Probably because I replugged my usb inputs... Might this be related? How do I clear the MIDI devices list in Ableton?

Try this:

1. Unplug all of your controllers.
2. Start Live.
3. Check the list on the midi page.
4. Deactivate all controllers on that list.
5. Close Live.
6. Plug in all of your comtrollers again.
7. Make sure that your computer recognizes all of your controllers.
8. Start Live.
9. Check your midi list in Live again.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

If that doesn't work, try rebooting in between steps 5 and 6.

Ok great, this actually worked!

However the problem returns as soon as I toggle the duplicate Keystation entry 'Track'.

My MIDI devices list in Ableton is all cluttered. It looks like this currently:

- Input: 3- Keystation Pro 88 In [1] ON OFF ON
- Input: 3- Keystation Pro 88 In [2] ON OFF ON
- Input: padKONTROL OFF OFF OFF
- Input: MIDIIN2 (padKONTROL) ON OFF ON
- Input: MIDIIN3 (padKONTROL) OFF OFF OFF
- Input: Keystation Pro 88 In [1] OFF OFF OFF
- Input: Keystation Pro 88 In [2] OFF OFF OFF
- Output: 3- Keystation Pro 88 Out [1] ON OFF ON
- Output: padKONTROL ON OFF ON
- Output: MIDIOUT2 (padKONTROL) OFF OFF OFF
- Output: Keystation Pro 88 Out [1] OFF OFF OFF

What's going on there? I should not touch the 2nd two keystation inputs, cause then I get the problem described...

(My system works again, so thanks... I'm just interested in the problem behind the issue... I guess Ableton (or Windows) doesn't like re-plugging MIDI controllers, (USB-midi controllers!!). They seem to get another alias, without the old instance being removed...

I've noticed that too at times. I'm not quite sure if it's a Windows problem, or an Ableton problem. Usually, the duplicate copies seem to disappear after a while anyway.

Glad I could help.

Back